Top-10 Most Famous Monuments of India
1. Taj Mahal
- Place – Agra, Uttar Pradesh
- Built between 1631 and 1648 by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan.
2. Mysore Palace
- Place – Mysore, Karnataka
- Built between 1897-1912.
- Maharaja Krishnaraja Wodeyar IV and his mother Maharani Kempananjammanni Devi, commissioned the British architect Lord Henry Irwin to build a new palace.
3. The Golden Temple or Harmandir Sahib
- Place – Amritsar, Punjab
- Built between 1581-1589.
- The design of Sri Harmandir Sahib was done by Guru Arjan himself.
4. Brihadishwara Temple
- Place – Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu
- Built in the year 1010 CE by Raja Raja Chola.
- The temple popularly known as the Big Temple. It turned 1000 years old in September 2010.
5. Hawa Mahal
- Place – Jaipur, Rajasthan
- Built in 1799 by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh.
6. Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus or Victoria Terminus
- Place – Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Built between 1878-1888.
- It was originally known as Bori Bunder from 1853-1888.
- It was rebuilt as Victoria Terminus to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
- In 1996, the name of the station was again changed to Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus in honour of Emperor Chhatrapati Shivaji, founder of the Maratha Empire.
7. Victoria Memorial
- Place – Kolkata, West Bengal
- Built between 1906 and 1921
8. Qutub Minar
- Place – Delhi
- Qutab Ud-Din-Aibak, founder of the Delhi Sultanate, started construction of the Qutub Minar’s first storey around 1192. In 1220, Aibak’s successor and son-in-law Iltutmish completed a further three storeys.
9. Sanchi Stupa
- Place – Sanchi, Madhya Pradesh
- Built by Emperor Ashoka of the Maurya Dynasty in 3rd century.
10. The Lotus Temple or Bahai Temple
- Place – Delhi
- Lotus Temple is a house of Worship for every religion and best place for meditation and peace.
- Bahai Faith is spiritual unity of all humankind, there are eight continental Houses of Worship have been built around the world. Lotus Temple is one of them and the prominent attraction in Delhi.