Learn Adjectives as Part of Speech for Bank & SSC Exams
[su_heading size=”31″] SUPERLATIVES WITH OR WITHOUT THE?[/su_heading]
- Nouns with superlative adjectives normally have the article “the”.
- I’m the greatest
- Which of the boys is strongest?
- This dictionary is best.
- After linking verbs, superlative adjectives also usually have “the”, though it is sometimes dropped in an informal style.
- This book is best I could find.
- “the” cannot be dropped when superlative is used with a defining expression.
- Of all my friends, he’s nicest.
- He’s the nicest when he’s with children.
- She works the hardest in the family, her husband doesn’t know what work is.
- She works hardest when she’s doing something for her family.
- We do not use “the” with superlatives when we compare the same person or thing in different situations.
- Who can write the fastest?
- “The” is sometimes dropped before superlative adverbs in an informal style.