Major Islands of the World (Part-2)
Here, we are giving a list of the Major Islands of the World that will help the readers for enhancing GK for competitive exams like SSC CGL, MTS, CHSL, CPO, Railway etc.
✦ Victoria (Arctic Ocean – Canada)
- It is the 9th largest island in the world.
- The surrounding region is administered and supplied from Cambridge Bay on the island’s south-east coast.
✦ Ellesmere (Arctic Ocean – Canada)
- It was discovered in 1616 by William Baffin.
- Fort Conger was the base from which Robert Peary led the first expedition to reach the North Pole in 1909.
✦ Sulawesi (West mid Pacific – Indonesia)
- Formerly known as Celebes.
- It is situated between Borneo and Maluku islands.
- In Indonesia, only Sumatra, Borneo, and Papua are larger in territory.
✦ Mindanao (West mid Pacific – Philippines)
- It is the second largest and easternmost island of Philippines.
- The island of Mindanao is called The Land of Promise.
- Mindanao is the only area of Philippines with a significant Muslim population.
- A guerrilla war is ongoing on this island.
✦ South Island (New Zealand)
- It is dominated by the Southern Alps which stretch along its western coast and rise to 3764 m at Mt. Cook, New Zealand’s highest peak.
- It was sighted by the Dutch navigator Tasman in 1642, and named after the Netherlands province of Zeeland.
✦ Java (Indonesia)
- It is the most populous island of the world.
- Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia is located along the west Java.
- Formed mostly as the result of volcanic events.
- Its highest elevation (Semeru) is 3676 m.
✦ North Island (New Zealand)
- Lying in the South Pacific, it is the second largest island of New Zealand.
- Active volcanism occurs in the central region of North Island, with many hot springs, and geysers.
✦ Luzon (Philippines)
- It is the largest and economically and politically important island of Philippines.
- Manila, the capital of Philippines, is located on this island.
✦ Newfoundland (North Atlantic – Canada)
- It was explored by John Cabot in 1497.
- It is a former colony of United Kingdom.
- It became the tenth province to the Confederation on 31st March, 1949, named simply as Newfoundland.
✦ Cuba (Caribbean Sea – Republic)
- Spanish is the main language.
- Havana, the capital and largest city of Cuba, is located on this island.
- Cuba has a rainy, tropical climate.
- Sugarcane is the main crop of Cuba which occupies about 60 per cent of the cultivated land.
✦ Iceland (North Atlantic – Republic)
- Located between the North Atlantic and the Arctic Ocean.
- Iceland is an enormous plateau with an average altitude of 500 metres.
- Reykjavik is the capital and primate city of the country.
- About 96 per cent of Icelanders are the descendants of Norwegian, Scottish and Irish immigrants and are Protestants by faith.