Major Islands of the World (Part-1)
Here, we are giving a list of the Major Islands of the World that will help the readers for enhancing GK for competitive exams like SSC CGL, MTS, CHSL, CPO, Railway etc.
What is Island?
✦ An Island is a land mass (smaller than a continent) that is surrounded by water.
✦ There are three types of Island: Continental Island; Oceanic Islands; and Tropical Island.
✦ An island in a lake or river may be called an eyot or holm.
✦ A group of geologically or geographically related islands is called an archipelago.
List of the Major Islands of the World
✦ Greenland (North America)
- It is the largest island in the world.
- Its capital is Nuuk (Godithab).
- It was discovered and named by the Norse explorer Eric the Red in 986 A.D. and settled in coastal pockets by Norse colonies.
- Only 5% of its area is habitable.
✦ New Guinea (Indonesian archipelago)
- It is the island of the east Malay Archipelago to the north of Australia.
- It is divided between the independent state of Papua-New Guinea in the east and the
- Indonesian province of West Irian in the west.
✦ Kalimantan (Indonesia)
- A region of Indonesia, comprising the southern part of the island of Borneo.
- It comprises of the Saba province of Malaysia, the country of Brunei and the Kalimantan province of Indonesia.
✦ Madagascar (Indian Ocean)
- It is the fourth largest island in the world.
- It lies in the Indian Ocean, off the east coast of Africa from which it is separated by the Mozambique Channel.
- Antananarivo is its capital.
- Rich in mica, graphite, and chromite, its chief exports include vanilla, coffee, clove and sugar.
✦ Baffin (Canada)
- This is the fifth largest in the world.
- It is situated at the mouth of Hudson Bay.
- The western part largely remain covered with ice with extensive glaciers.
- Coastal fishing stations include Frobisher Bay, Cape Dyer, and Cane Dorset.
✦ Sumatra (Indonesia)
- It is the seventh largest island of the world, separated from the Malaya Peninsula by the Strait of Malacca.
- Its largest city and port is Medan.
- It produces rubber and timber for export and its oil and other minerals provide three-quarters of Indonesian’s income.
✦ Honshu (Japan)
- It is the largest of the four main islands of Japan.
- Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, and Nagoya are situated in this island.
- The highest mountain of Japan (Mt. Fuji – 3776 m), and the largest Lake Biwa lie on this island.
✦ Great Britain (United Kingdom)
- England, Wales, and Scotland considered as a unit is known as Great Britain.
- The name is also often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom.