Indian Polity : Prime Minister of India
Prime Minister Important Facts:-
- Prime minster is the most powerful functionary who controls both parliament and the executive.
- Article -74 According to this, there will be a council of minster to aid and advise the president and the chief of the council of ministers will be Prime minister.
- Prime minister must be the leader of the party in majority of the Lok Sabha.
All the members of council of minister are appointed and dismissed at the discretion of the prime minister.
- Article -75 – Prime minister is appointed by the president. With the suggestions of the prime minister, president appoints other minister.
- Note – He is also the chairman of NITI Aayog or Planning Commission.
What happens in case of Death? : –
- If prime minister dies then council of ministers will dissolve automatically but we have an exception – In 1984 after the death of Indira Gandhi, Gyani Zail Singh appointed Rajiv Gandhi as prime Minister and he was from Rajya Sabha.
Oath/Resignation : –
- Prime Minister and other council of ministers take oath in front of President.
They can also submit their resignation to the president.
- President cannot remove the Prime minister if he/she has the Lok Sabha Majority.
But in case he/she looses the majority of Lok Sabha, he/she can be removed.
Important Question Based on above Topic:-
Q.1 Prime Minister of India is selected by which method?
Ans. (d) As per the provisions laid under Article – 75, Prime-minister of India is “appointed” by the President.
Q.2 Prime Minister of India can hold his office till he has: –
(a) Support of people
(b) Confidence of Rajya Sabha
(c) Confidence of Lok Sabha
(d) Support of Armed forces
Ans. (c) According to Article- 75 (3), Prime minister and the council of ministers shall be collectively responsible to the lower house of parliament i.e. Lok Sabha.They hold the office till they cave the majority or Confidence of Lok Sabha.
Q.3 What is the minimum age for holding the post of Prime Minister?
(a) 35 years
(b) 25 years
(c) 21 years
(d) 18 years
Ans. (b) In case of Rajya Sabha, minimum required age is 30 years & In case of Lok Sabha, minimum required age is 25 years.
Q.4 In parliamentary democracy – “He is the first among all”. Who is he?
(a) Leader of opposition
(b) Chairman of Lok Sabha
(c) Prime Minister
Ans. (c) According to Lord Morley, Prime Minister is “primus Inter pares” Means “First among all of his equals”. Prime Minister is the chief crisis manager of the country.
Q.5 Narendra Modi is the ————— Prime minister of India.
Ans.(a) Narendra Modi is 14th Prime minister of India. He is the head of 16th Lok Sabha.