GS Notes on Jainism for SSC exams
Dear Readers, today we are providing some Important facts about Jainism which is a very important topic for the SSC Exams. Study Notes on Jainism for SSC Exams.
* Jainism was founded by Aadinath and Rishabha Dev, while the real founder was Mahavir swami.
* The five Mahavarta (important principles) of Jainism are-: Ahimsa, Satya (truth), Asteya (not to steal), Aparigraha and Brahmacharya.
* The first 4 was added by 23rd Tirthankar “Parasnath” while the 5th was added by Mahavira.
* Vardhamana Mahavira was a contemporary of Buddha.
Vardhaman Mahavira (539- 467 B.C.)
* Vardhamana Mahavira was the 24th Tirthankar of the Jain tradition. He is considered the last tirthankar.
* He was born at Kundagrama near Vaishali in about 546 BC.
* He was born to Kshatriya parents Siddhartha and Trishala.
* He was married to Yasoda and had a daughter from his marriage named Anojja or Priyadarsana.
* He renounced the world at the age of thirty to become an ascetic and wandered for twelve years. He also practiced self-mortification for these years.
* In the 13th year of his penance, he attained the highest spiritual knowledge by triumphing over himself. This knowledge is called Kevala Gnan.
* Thereafter, he was called Mahavira, Jina, Kevalin.
* His followers were called the Jains and this religion came to be known as Jainism.
* From this time till his death, he preached his doctrines for 30 years.
* He died at the age of 72 at Pava near Rajagriha (now in Patna district).
List of Jain Thirthankaras
- Sheetal Nath
- Munisuvrata nath