English Vocabulary for Bank po and SSC CGL | In Hindi/ English
English Vocabulary for Bank PO and SSC CGL | In Hindi/ English
- Customary (Adjective) – प्रथागत
- Definition: According to the customs or usual
- practices associated with a particular society,
- place, or set of circumstances.
- Synonyms: Usual, Traditional, Normal, Conventional
- Antonyms: Unusual, Exceptional, Rare
- Usage: The GCC issued a customary
2. Avert (Verb) – टालना
- Definition: Turn away (one’s eyes or thoughts).
- Synonyms: Prevent, Stop, Avoid
- Antonyms: Abet, Aid, Assist
- Usage: The strong support among citizens of all countries for urgent action to avert dangerous climate change.
3. Peg (verb) – खूंटी करना
- Definition: An individual part of a process, series, or ranking.
- Synonyms: Chapter, Cut, Degree, Grade, Inch
- Antonyms: Confuse, Disarrange, Jumble
- Usage: The UNFCCC has a long road ahead
- before carbon emissions can be pegged at levels lagged by scientists.
4. Stark (Adjective) – निरा
- Definition: Harsh and threatening in manner or appearance
- Synonyms: Austere, Dour, Fierce, Flinty, Forbidding
- Antonyms: Bland, Meek, Mellow, Soft, Soothing
- Usage: Recently, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), in a special report, issued a stark warning on man-made emissions
(ONE WORD SUBSTITUTION)
- An emolument over and above fixed salary-
- The use of many words where only a few are necessary-
7. (A) Accidentally
- (A) Advertisement
(IDIOMS AND PHRASES)
9. Wrap one’s brain around
- Meaning: Concentrate on something in an effort to understand
- Example: I really need to wrap my brain around this concept before the exam.
10. Zero in on something
- Meaning: Focus all attention onto one thing
- Example: The teacher immediately zeroed in on the weaker students of the class.