Current Affairs Updates: 17th August
Current Affairs Updates: 17th August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee passed away
Veteran political leader, prolific writer and former Prime Minister of India Atal Bihari Vajpayee passed away in New Delhi.
- He was 93.
- He was born on 25th December 1924 in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
- He was PM thrice in 1996 (13 days), 1998-1999 and 1999-2004 (making him first non-Congress leader to have completed full term as PM).
2. PM Modi Unveils Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan Initiative
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has announced the launch of world’s largest government-funded programme – the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan.
- The Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Abhiyaan comes under Ayushman Bharat Scheme.
- The Prime Minister informed that the government has decided to provide five lakh rupees health care insurance cover per year for the poor and vulnerable under the programme and in future it can be extended to the low middle class.
3. PM Modi Announces Manned Space Mission Taking Indian Astronauts To Space On Board ‘Gaganyaan’ By 2022
- Prior to the actual launch by 2022, the ISRO will have two unmanned missions and spacecraft will be launched using GSLV Mark-III.
- GSLV Mark III launch vehicle will be fully equipped with crew module and life support system for manned mission in the next two years.
4. Akshay Kumar becomes brand ambassador for roads Safety campaigns
- The Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar has launched a road safety awareness campaign by releasing a series of videos in New Delhi.
- He launched the videos in the presence of Union Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari and other officials.
5. BSNL has launched a VOIP based service “WINGS”
- The Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) has launched a VOIP based service “WINGS”.
- In WINGS, there is no SIM or cable wiring as is a VOIP service through an app.
- Calls can be made using any data connection such as wired broadband, Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G network of any any operator.
6. State Bank of India (SBI) is the most patriotic brand in India
As per survey conducted by UK-based online market research and data analytics firm YouGov, the SBI has been ranked as the most patriotic brand, followed by Tata Motors, Patanjali, Reliance Jio and BSNL.
- In the financial sector, SBI lead the chart with 47% of the sector-share.
- In the auto sector, Tata Motors emerged as the most patriotic brand.
- In terms of food brands, Amul grabbed the top slot with one-third Indians considering it, followed by Patanjali.
- Nirma emerged as the most patriotic brand in the homecare products category.
- In the beverages category, Tata Tea grabbed the top rank with 35% respondents voting for it, followed by Taj Mahal with 18%.
7. Delhi and Mumbai have been included in Global Liveability Index 2018
Austrian capital Vienna has been ranked as the world’s most liveable city in a list of 140 global cities at the 2018 Global Liveability Index, which was released by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
- The index assigns cities scores on five broad parameters — stability, healthcare, culture/environment, education, and infrastructure using 30 indicators.
- Delhi (112) and Mumbai (117) are only two Indian cities that are included in the EIU’s annual index.
8. Nihal Sarin has become the 53rd Grandmaster of India
Nihal Sarin (14) from Kerala has become the 53rd Grandmaster of India and the 12th youngest grandmaster in chess history after attaining his third and final GM-norm in the Abu Dhabi Masters 2018.
- He tallied 5.5/9 with a rating performance of 2626 to secure his third GM norm.
9. Mario Abdo Benítez has been sworn in as the new President of Paraguay
Mario Abdo Benítez has been sworn in as the new President of Paraguay after defeating his liberal rival in 2018 April elections.
- He succeeded Horacio Cartes. Mr Abdo Benítez is the son of a close aide to ex-military dictator Alfredo Stroessner & has faced criticism for defending the former leader’s record.
10. President Kovind approved Nao Sena medal for INS Tarini members
President Ram Nath Kovind approved Nao Sena (Gallantary) medal for the 6 women crew members of Indian Naval Sailing Vessel (INSV) Tarini, who circumnavigated the globe.
- Lt Cdr Vartika Joshi captained the 194-day mission.
- The mission started on 10th September 2017.
- Nao Sena Gallantary medals were also announced for marine Lt Cdr Anil Raina and Kunal Saini for anti-insurgency operations.