Current Affairs Updates: 16th August
Current Affairs Updates: 16th August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. 24th World Congress of Philosophy held in Beijing, China
The 24th World Congress of Philosophy (WCP) was held in Beijing, China from August 13 to 17, 2018.
- It is global meeting of philosophers held every five years under auspices of International Federation of Philosophical Societies (FISP).
- Its theme was “Learning To Be Human”
2. Former India Test captain Ajit Wadekar passes away
Former India Test captain Ajit Wadekar, who led the country to its first win in England in 1971, passed away at 77 after a prolonged illness.
- Wadekar made his debut in 1966 against the West Indies and went on to represent India in 37 Tests and two one-day internationals.
- Wadekar was honoured with the Padma Shri in 1972.
3. Ramesh Powar Appointed Head Coach Of Indian Women’s Team
Former India off-spinner Ramesh Powar was officially appointed head coach of the India women’s team, until ICC World Twenty20.
- The 40-year-old Powar was initially appointed interim coach last month.
- Powar carries the experience of figuring in 2 Tests and 31 One-Day Internationals (ODIs) for India.
4. Swadesh Darshan Scheme
The scheme was Union Tourism Ministry with an objective to develop theme-based tourist circuits in the country.
- The first project under Swadesh Darshan Scheme ‘North East Circuit: Imphal and Khongjom’ was inaugurated in Manipur.
- The project covers two sites i.e. Kangla Fort and Khongjom in Manipur.
5. Anandiben Patel takes additional charge as Chhattisgarh Governor
She was given additional charge following death of Chhattisgarh Governor Balramji Dass Tandon (in office from 25 July 2014 to 14 August 2018 till his death after suffering heart attack).
- He was born on 1 November 1927 in Amritsar, Punjab.
- He was one of the founding members of BJP’s parent organisation Jan Sangh.
6. First genetic bank for rare species inaugurated in Hyderabad
National Wildlife Genetic Resource Bank (NWGRB) was inaugurated at Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology’s (CCMB) Laboratory of Conservation of Endangered Species (LaCONES) facility in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- The genetic bank will cryopreserve living cell lines, gametes and embryos of endangered wild animal species in India.
7. India grants Rs 470 million to Nepal for Postal Highway Project
India is providing financial assistance to Nepal since 1950 for infrastructure development as part of its multi-sectoral India-Nepal Economic Co-operation Programme.
- With release of recent additional funds, India so far has released Rs 2.35 billion to Nepal out of total grant assistance of Rs. 8.00 billion committed to implement 14 packages under Packages 2-6 of Phase I of Postal Highway Project.
8. A. K. Bhutani appointed CEO of PM Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY)
Senior bureaucrat Ashish Kumar Bhutani has been appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY).
- Bhutani, a 1992 batch IAS officer of Assam-Meghalaya cadre, has been appointed to the post till May 9, 2020.
- Launched in 2016, the PMFBY is in line with one nation – one scheme theme.
9. India will participate in the joint SCO Peace Mission Exercise
India will participate for the first time in the joint SCO Peace Mission Exercise, being conducted by Central Military Commission of Russia from August 22-29 at Chebarkul.
- India became a full member of the SCO in June 2017.
- The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is an eight-member multilateral organization, established on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai, China.
- 8 members of SCO are:- China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, India and Pakistan.
10. NITI Aayog has launched “Pitch to MOVE”
It is a mobility pitch competition that aims to provide budding entrepreneurs of India a unique opportunity to pitch their business ideas to a distinguished jury.
- Startups working in the various fields of mobility can pitch their ideas to industry leaders and Venture Capitalists for raising investments.
- Winners of the event will be felicitated by PM during the Global Mobility Summit.
- It aims to identify and incentivise the startups, which will help the Government realize its vision of Shared, Connected, Inter-modal and Environment-Friendly Mobility for India.