Current Affairs Updates: 7 September
Current Affairs Updates: 7 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Dr Poonam nominated as Regional Director WHO South-East Asia
India retained the top WHO position in South-East Asia Region with Dr Poonam Khetrapal Singh unanimously re-elected as Regional Director for another five-year term beginning February 2019.
- The elections were held at the ongoing regional committee meeting of WHO South-East Asia.
- Dr Singh is the first woman to have been elected to this position after an illustrious career in the Indian civil service, World Bank and WHO.
2. UAE will launch Mars Mission “HOPE” by 2020
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) has recently announced to launch Mars Mission “HOPE”, which is expected to be launched by 2020.
- Upon launch, it will become the first mission to Mars by any Arab or Muslim country.
- The aim of the mission is to enrich the capabilities of Emirati engineers and to increase human knowledge about the Martian atmosphere.
- It is expected to reach Mars in 2021, which coincides with the 50th anniversary of the UAE’s formation.
3. UP C.M. Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the first luxury cruise of Varanasi
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the first luxury cruise of Varanasi named Alaknanda on 2nd September 2018.
- The cruise will run from Raj Ghat to Assi Ghat.
- Alaknanda is a 5-star luxury tourist cruise that will operate in river Ganga.
4. Mary Kom is appointed as the brand ambassador of BSNL
BSNL has roped in Indian boxer M.C.Mary Kom as its brand ambassador for two years. Mary Kom will endorse and be engage in promotional activities of BSNL for its various services.
- Kom’s association will help BSNL in enhancing BSNL brand image as well as gain more customer in this competitive market scenario.
5. India and the US held “2 + 2 Dialogue” in Delhi
India and the US held the first edition of the two-plus-two talks in New Delhi. The meeting was aimed at further strengthening bilateral defence and security collaboration as well as boosting their global strategic partnership, particularly in the Indo-Pacific region.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman held talks with US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo and Defence Secretary James Mattis.
6. The International Aviation Summit held in New Delhi
International Aviation Summit in Delhi was organized by the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), the Airports Authority India (AAI) and International Air Transport Association.
- There was an overwhelming response to the summit which was attended by more than 700 delegates and leaders from global aviation fraternity.
7. Rajasthan will provide mobile phones to women of BPL families
In a bid to boost PM Modi’s flagship ‘Digital India’ campaign, the Rajasthan government has decided to provide free mobile phones to women of BPL families under the Bhamashah Yojana.
- Its aim is to transfer financial and non-financial benefits of government schemes in a transparent manner.
- It will also provide free Wifi facilities to as many as 5,000 gram panchayats to ensure that the state is well connected with the outside world.
8. Shooter Mitharwal bagged gold at 2018 ISSF World Championship
Indian Shooter Om Prakash Mitharwal clinched his first gold in the 50m pistol event at the 2018 International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) World Championships in Changwon, South Korea on September 4.
- Mitharwal, who won bronze in the 10m air pistol and the 50m pistol events of the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, shot a score of 564 to finish on top at ISSF Championships.
9. International Day of Charity: September 5
The International Day of Charity is observed globally on September 5 with an aim to recognise the role of charity in alleviating human suffering within and among nations
- The United Nations General Assembly proclaimed 5 September as International Day of Charity on December 17, 2012.
- The day was first celebrated in the year 2013.
10. Japan to conduct world’s first test of space elevator
Japanese researchers from Shizuoka University will conduct world’s first experiment to test small prototype of space elevator in space by using two mini satellites.
- The test equipment will be launched on an H-2B rocket being launched by Japan’s space agency.
- The test involves a miniature elevator stand-in – a box just 6 cm long, 3 cm wide, and 3 cm high.
- It’s the world’s first experiment to test travel between two mini satellites in space.