Current Affairs Updates: 6 September
Current Affairs Updates: 6 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Tsunami mock exercise “IOWave18” has started in Indian Ocean
The major Indian ocean-wide tsunami mock exercise (drill) “IOWave18” has started from September 4, which is being organized by the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) of UNESCO.
- Its aim is to increase tsunami preparedness, evaluate response capabilities in each state and improve coordination throughout the region.
- It will also enhance tsunami preparedness at the community level.
- India along with 23 other nations is participating in this exercise.
2. Amazon became the 2nd company to hit $1 trillion in market cap.
World’s richest man Jeff Bezos-led e-commerce major Amazon became the 2nd publicly traded US company to hit $1 trillion in market capitalisation after iPhone maker Apple.
- Amazon stock has more than doubled in the last 12 months and has gained more than 70% in 2018.
3. HDFC ERGO has launched a Cyber Insurance Policy ‘E@Secure’
HDFC ERGO General Insurance Company announced the launch of ‘E@Secure’, a Cyber Insurance Policy for individuals.
- This policy offers protection against cyber risks and frauds performed from any device and from any location of the world.
- Cyber risks like unauthorized online transactions, phishing and email spoofing, e-extortion, identity theft, damage to e-reputation and cyber-bullying are covered.
4. Arif Alvi is elected as the President of Pakistan
The 69-year-old former dentist defeated Pakistan Peoples (PPP) Party’s Aitzaz Ahsan and Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz’s (PML-N) Maulana Fazlur Rehman to become the 13th President.
- Arif Alvi will take the oath of the office on September 9 as the outgoing President Mamnoon Hussain’s five-year tenure ends on September 8.
- Dr.Alvi served as the Secretary-general of PTI party from 2006 to 2013.
- In 2013 he was elected as a Member of the National Assembly of Pakistan and was re-elected in July 2018.
5. India will host its first-ever FIBA 3×3 World Tour Masters event
India will host its first-ever official FIBA 3×3 World Tour Masters 2018 in Hyderabad, which is scheduled to be held from September 22.
- It is one of the most prestigious basketball tournaments in the world.
- The Hyderabad Masters will see participation from the leading international 3×3 teams and top two Indian 3BL teams – Delhi 3BL & Bangalore 3BL.
6. Government will observe September as National Nutrition Month
The Government of India (GoI) will observe September as National Nutrition Month (NNM) across the country to mark the fight against malnutrition.
- It will also focus on adolescent girls, pregnant women and lactating mothers to eliminate the deficiencies prevailing in the Health sector.
- The NNM will be celebrated every year to bring down stunting of children in the age group of 0-6 years from 38% to 25% by 2022
7. Joint military exercise “Rapid Trident 2018” has started in Ukraine
The joint military exercise “Rapid Trident 2018″ has started in the western Ukrainian village of Starychi, which will continue from September 2 to 15.
- It was launched by Ukraine with the US and a string of other NATO countries as tensions with Russia remain high over the Kremlin-backed insurgency in the country’s east.
- The aim of the exercise is to practice countering armed aggression in conditions of the hybrid war.
8. National Teachers’ Day: 5 September
Every year, September 5 is observed as Teachers’ Day in India to mark the birth anniversary of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who was born on September 5, 1888.
- A great scholar, philosopher and a Bharat Ratna recipient, Dr Radhakrishnan was the first Vice President and second President of independent India.
- On the occasion of Teachers’ Day, students across the nation honour their teachers and thank them for their endless efforts in educating them.
9. India will purchase 18 bullet train sets from Japan
India will purchase 18 bullet train sets from Japan at a total cost of about Rs 7,000 crore in a deal that includes a pledge to transfer technology for local production.
- Each train will have 10 coaches and would be able to cruise at the speed of 350 km per hour.
- The country’s first bullet train is likely to start running between Mumbai and Ahmedabad by the end of 2022.
- The 508-km, high speed train corridor is being built with Japanese assistance.
10. Ranjan Gogoi will become 46th Chief Justice of India
ustice Ranjan Gogoi will be become 46th Chief Justice of India succeeding incumbent Dipak Misra. His name was recommended incumbent CJI Dipak Misra by following convention of recommending next senior most Supreme Court judge.
- With this, Justice Ranjan Gogoi will become first CJI from north-eastern region.
- He will have tenure of about 13 months, from October 3, 2018 till his retirement on November 17, 2019.