Current Affairs Updates: 31 August
Current Affairs Updates: 31 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Swapna Barman, the first Indian heptathlete to win an Asian Games gold
Swapna Barman created history by becoming the first Indian heptathlete to win an Asian Games gold in Indonesia, a feat she achieved despite a toothache.
- The 21-year-old Barman logged 6026 points from the seven events competed for two days.
- En route to the title, she won the high jump (1003 points) and javelin throw (872 points) events and finished second-best in shot put (707 points) and long jump (865 points).
2. China is using robots to teach the Kindergarten children
The 60 cm high, autonomous Keeko robot is an unconventional teacher. It covers things like storytelling and problem-solving.
- More than 600 kindergartens across the country use Keeko robots.
- The robot makers are hoping to expand it into Greater China and Southeast Asia.
- Beijing has invested money and manpower in developing artificial intelligence as part of its “Made in China 2025” plan.
3. First SAARC Agri Cooperative Business Forum held in Kathmandu
The first-ever SAARC Agriculture Cooperative Business Forum has started in Kathmandu, Nepal on August 29, 2018.
- The aim of the forum is to bring together representatives both from the government and non-governmental entities from the Member States of SAARC.
- The theme of 3-day Forum is the ‘Organizing and Strengthening Family Farmers’ Cooperatives to attain the Sustainable-Development-Goals-1 and 2 in South Asia.
4. ADB to provide US $375 million loan for MP Irrigation Project
The Government of India has signed a $375 million loan agreement with the Asian Development Bank (ADB) for Madhya Pradesh Irrigation Efficiency Improvement Project (MPIEIP).
- The aim of the pact is to double farming incomes in Madhya Pradesh by expanding irrigation networks and system efficiency.
- The project will focus on two large irrigation systems: Kundalia irrigation project & Sanjay Sarovar Irrigation Project.
5. Maritime exercise “KAKADU 2018” has started in Darwin, Australia
The 14th edition of multilateral regional maritime engagement exercise “KAKADU 2018” has started in Darwin, Australia from August 29 and will continue till September 15.
- It is hosted by the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and supported by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF).
- Indian Naval Ship ‘INS Sahyadri’, commanded by Captain Shantanu Jha, is participating in this edition of exercise.
6. Assam Government extends AFSPA in the state for 6 more months
Governor of Assam has extended application of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), 1958 in the entire state for six more months with immediate effect.
- For this, it used powers conferred under Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 declaring entire state as ‘Disturbed Area’ upto 6 months or unless withdrawn earlier.
7. IBM partners with Indian IT companies to build global solutions for disaster management
Global IT giant IBM has partnered with Indian IT companies for its ‘Call for Code’ initiative that aims to build global solutions for disaster management.
- Indian IT companies that will partner with IBM for Call for Code initiative include Persistent Systems, Invest India, Wipro, Capgemini and NASSCOM.
8. Vostok-2018: Russia to conduct largest military exercise
Russia is going to conduct Vostok-2018 (East-2018) military exercise in central and eastern Russian military districts from September 11 to 15, 2018.
- It will be biggest war games ever conducted by Russia since Zapad-81 (West-81) exercise conducted by erstwhile Soviet Union in 1981.
- China and Mongolia will also participate in Vostok 2018.
9. Arunachal Pradesh Assembly passes bill for creation of 3 new districts
Arunachal Pradesh Legislative assembly has passed Re-Organisation of Districts (Amendment) Bill, 2018 for the creation of 3 new districts, Pakke-Kesang, Lepa Rada and Shi Yomi.
- These new districts were created keeping in view growing demands of people, bring administration to their door-steps and for all-round equal development in all parts of the state.
- With addition of these three new districts, state will have total 25 districts from earlier 22 districts.
10. Axis Securities became the first bank subsidiary to enter the commodity broking business
Axis Securities launched commodity broking services with MCX and became the first bank subsidiary to enter the commodity broking business.
- Axis Securities launched commodity broking services with MCX and became the first bank subsidiary to enter the commodity broking business.
- These cover: industrial metals, energy and agricultural segments.