Current Affairs Updates: 30 August
Current Affairs Updates: 30 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. India signed $300 Million loan Agreement with the World Bank
The Government of India and the World Bank signed a $220 million Loan Agreement and a $80 million Guarantee Agreement for the India Energy Efficiency Scale-Up Program.
- The Program, will help scale-up the deployment of energy saving measures in residential and public sectors, strengthen EESL’s institutional capacity, and enhance its access to commercial financing.
- The investments under the Program are expected to avoid lifetime greenhouse gas emissions of 170 million tons of CO2, and contribute to avoiding an estimated 10 GW of additional generation capacity.
2. Emmerson Mnangagwa sworn in as new Zimbabwe President
Emmerson Mnangagwa has taken the oath as Zimbabwe’s president, after winning last month’s bitterly contested election that marked the country’s first vote since Robert Mugabe was removed from power.
- Mnangagwa pledged to “protect and promote the rights of Zimbabweans” in his oath.
- He took the oath before Chief Justice Luke Malaba.
3. Google has unveiled Project Navlekha for Indian language publishers
At the fourth ‘Google for India’ event, Google has unveiled Project Navlekha to help Indian language publishers take their content online.
- Navlekha is a word derived from Sanskrit meaning ‘a new way to write’.
- The new platform will allow 1.35 lakh Indian publishers to digitise their offline content by creating instant web pages using scanned documents or PDFs.
4. National Sports Day: 29 August
The National Sports Day in India is celebrated on 29 August each year.
- This day marks the birthday of Dhyan Chand Singh, the hockey player who won gold medals in Olympics for India in the years 1928, 1934 and 1936.
- He scored over 400 goals in his career, from 1926 to 1948.
5. India’s first interstate connected wind power project commissioned in Gujarat
126 MW wind power capacity, part of country’s first Inter State Transmission System (ISTS) auction, is commissioned in Bhuj, Gujarat.
- The energy generated from this project is being purchased by Bihar, Odisha, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh.
- This was a 1,000 MW bid for projects to be connected on ISTS wherein power generated from one state could be transmitted to other states.
6. The European Union join hands with India to develop new Influenza vaccine
EU-India joined hands to develop new Influenza vaccine. They have committed EUR 15 million each to fund for this cause through the “Horizon 2020” programme.
- Indian government and the EU partnered for Rs. 240 crore research programme to develop a Next Generation Influenza Vaccine.
- The European Union (EU) is a union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.
7. ISRO unveils plans for India’s manned space flight mission
Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) unveiled details of its first indigenous human space mission dubbed as Gaganyaan to be launched in 2022.
- Under it, three Indian astronauts (Gaganyatris) will be taken to space on board Gaganyaan spacecraft by 2022.
- This will be the first human space mission to be indigenously developed by ISRO.
8. Satya Tripathi appointed as Assistant Secretary-General & Head of New York Office of UNEP
UN Secretary General António Guterres has appointed veteran Indian development economist Satya S Tripathi as Assistant Secretary-General and Head of the New York Office of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
- Tripathi, who will succeed Elliott Harris of Trinidad and Tobago, has since 2017 served as Senior Adviser on the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development at UNEP.
- Tripathi has worked for the United Nations since 1998 in Europe, Asia and Africa on strategic assignments.
9. SpiceJet operated India’s first biofuel-powered flight
SpiceJet would fly India’s first biofuel-powered flight from Dehradun to Delhi on its Bombardier Q400 turboprop aircraft from Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport.
- It has used a blend of the aviation turbine fuel and biofuel to power the flight.
- It would encourage sustainable and alternative fuels for the transportation & aviation sector under National Biofuels Policy.
- With this test, India will be among the first developing nations to adopt the sustainable alternative jet fuel.
10. Odisha government launched “Mu Hero, Mu Odisha” programme to identify young talents
The scientists have developed the smallest medical robot and set a new Guinness World Record.
- The Odisha government has launched a programme “Mu Hero, Mu Odisha” (I am Hero-I am Odisha)” to identify and to give recognition to the young achievers of the state.
- The initiative is to be conducted by the Biju Yuva Vahini (BYV) members.