Current Affairs Updates: 28 August
Current Affairs Updates: 28 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Arunachal Pradesh will organize youths conclave ‘ATAL’
The Arunachal Pradesh government has decided to organize a youths’ conclave “ATAL – Arunachal Transformation & Aspirational Leadership” in Itanagar on 22nd September 2018.
- The aim of the 3-day ATAL conclave is to engage youths in the age group of 18 to 30 years of the state pro-actively in the areas of public policy and governance.
- Participants shall brainstorm and present their ideas, proposals and solutions for government policies and existing challenges faced by the state before expert panels.
2. Jhulan Goswami announced her retirement from Women’s T20 cricket
- Goswami is currently the leading wicket-taker in the women’s ODI format and also the first woman to pick up 200 ODI wickets.
- She played 68 T20 Internationals and took 56 wickets at an economy rate of 5.45.
3. 9th edition of Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2018 was held in Thimphu
The 9th edition of Mountain Echoes Literary Festival 2018 was held in Thimphu, Bhutan. This festival is an initiative of the India-Bhutan Foundation and Siyahi, an Indian literary agency.
- It was presented by the Jaypee Group and powered by the Department of Tourism, Government of Rajasthan.
- The festival focused on Spirituality and Philosophy, Performing Arts, Environmental Conservation, Food, Film & Theatre, etc.
4. “No Spin” is the autobiography of Shane Warne
The book “No Spin” is the autobiography of renowned Australian bowler Shane Warne, which will release on October 30.
- The memoir is written with cricketer and TV presenter Mark Nicholas.
- Warne is widely regarded as one of the finest bowlers in the history of the game.
- He played his first Test match in 1992, and took over 1,000 international wickets.
5. Vietnam to host Indian Ocean conference
The third edition of Indian Ocean Conference is set to begin on August 27 at Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam.
- The theme of the two- day conference will focus on ‘Building Regional Architectures’.
- This year’s conference will see 43 countries as participants while 28 ministers and officials are set to address the event.
6. Tamil Nadu CM inaugurates India’s tallest Film Studio
MGR Centenary Film Studio, the tallest such structure in the country, was inaugurated by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami.
- The 56 feet tall, 110 metres long and 100 feet wide studio was constructed using funds collected by the Federation of Film Employees Union of South India (FEFSI), at Paiyanur.
7. NASA introduced an app to take space selfies
NASA has introduced two virtual reality apps which will allow users to take selfies in front of gorgeous cosmic locations.
- The two apps are- the Selfies app and Exoplanet Excursions virtual reality app.
- The app will let you take snapshots of yourself in a virtual spacesuit, posing in front of gorgeous cosmic locations, like the Orion Nebula or the centre of the Milky Way galaxy.
- It also provides information about the science behind these stunning images.
8. Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has allowed to make calls during flights
The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) has reportedly said that people will be allowed to make calls and use the internet during flights (at 30,000 ft) from October.
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) had earlier announced that Indian and international flights be allowed voice and data services within India’s airspace above an altitude of 9,850 ft.
9. India’s first biofuel flight to fly from Dehradun to Delhi
India would join the elite club of nations who have operated a flight on alternative energy source like biofuel.
- SpiceJet is planning to operate a flight from Dehradun to Delhi using biofuel, which would be first such experiment in India.
- While developed countries like Canada, Australia and US have already conducted these test flights, India would be the first developing nation to experiment that.
10. Baby Rani Maurya was sworn in as the new governor of Uttarakhand
The oath of office and secrecy was administered to Maurya by the acting Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court Rajiv Sharma.
- Maurya, a former mayor of Agra, was nominated as governor of Uttarakhand on August 21.
- She replaces Krishna Kant Paul whose five-year tenure ended recently.