Current Affairs Updates: 24 August
Current Affairs Updates: 24 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. NASA has confirmed presence of ice on Moon
Using data from the Chandrayaan-I spacecraft, that was launched by the ISRO in 2008, NASA Scientists have confirmed the presence of frozen water deposits in the darkest and coldest parts of the Moon’s polar regions.
- The study said with enough ice sitting at the surface within the top few millimeters water would possibly be accessible as a resource for future expeditions to explore and even stay on the Moon.
2. 4th BIMSTEC Summit to be held in Kathmandu
The fourth Summit of Heads of State/Government of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) will be held at Kathmandu on August 30 and 31.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will participate in the summit.
- During the Summit, leaders of member states will review progress achieved so far in the areas of cooperation and provide guidance to the future work of the BIMSTEC.
3. Odisha will host 2018 Men’s Hockey World Cup
Odisha for the First time is Organizing the 2018 Men’s Hockey World Cup, which will be the 14th edition of the Hockey World Cup field hockey tournament.
- It is scheduled to be held from 28 Nov. to 16 Dec. 2018, at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar.
- Earlier, a nation-wide publicity campaign, ‘Heartbeats for Hockey’, was launched to showcase Bhubaneswar as a sporting venue and Odisha as a tourist destination.
- Advertisements were put up on buses in London with the tagline of ‘Odisha by Morning, Hockey by Evening’.
4. IIT-Kharagpur launched ‘Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research’
IIT-Kharagpur launched ‘Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research’ to treat and convert sewage water into potable water.
- Aditya Choubey Center for Re-Water Research has been set up by a seed fund created by IIT alumni Anant Choubey and Aneesh Reddy.
- This has been launched to handle the issues of sewage disposal in urban areas and access to clean potable water.
5. President Kovind inaugurated the International Buddhist Conclave in New Delhi
President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the International Buddhist Conclave in New Delhi. The theme of the conclave is ‘Buddha Path – The Living Heritage’.
- It aims to showcase Buddhist Heritage in India and boost tourism to the Buddhist sites in the country.
- The Ministerial level delegation from ASEAN countries will participate in the conclave along with delegates from 29 countries including US, UK, Germany, France and Russia.
- This year Japan is the partnering country for the Buddhist conclave.
6. August 21: World Senior Citizen Day
World Senior Citizen Day, 2018 will be observed worldwide on August 21. The history of International Senior Citizens Day comes from the period of 1988.
- It was officially established by the former president of United States, Ronald Reagan.
- He had signed the 5847 promulgation on August 19, 1988, which manifested August 21 as the National Senior Citizens Day.
7. Kempegowda International Airport is world’s second fastest growing airport
The Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) has emerged as the second fastest growing airport in the world in the first half of 2018 in terms of actual growth in the number of passengers.
- It has recorded 1,58,50,352 flyers during the six-month period.
- Only Tokyo’s Haneda International has bettered KIA’s growth.
- The report was published by RoutesOnline, a company focussing on the quality and standards of aviation globally.
8. PV Sindhu 7th highest paid female athlete in the world: Forbes
PV Sindhu broke into the top 10 paid female athletes list in the world, according to an annual list published by Forbes.
- Sindhu, at 7th, is the only Indian female athlete in the top 10 list, that is predominantly dominant by tennis players.
- The list is headed by Serena Williams for the third consecutive year.
9. Atal Bihari Vajpayee memorial to be built in Mumbai
The Maharashtra government would build a memorial for former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee in Mumbai, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said.
- Fadnavis also distributed urns containing ashes of the former prime minister to BJP leaders for immersion in 14 rivers in the state.
- Vajpayee, 93, passed away in Delhi on August 16.
10. ICICI Bank announces partnership with Manchester United
ICICI Bank, India’s private sector bank, has agreed to a multi-year partnership with Manchester United, bringing a range of competitive co-branded credit and debit card to the club’s 35 million Indian followers.
- The Bank will be offering fans of the club two types of credit card – Manchester United Platinum Credit Card and Signature Credit Card.