Current Affairs Updates: 22 August
Current Affairs Updates: 22 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Government to set up Cyclone Warning Centre in Kerala
Union Ministry of Earth Sciences has announced to set up Cyclone Warning Centre in Kerala’s capital Thiruvananthapuram.
- It also proposed to set up C-band Doppler weather radar at Mangalore, Karnataka.
- This comes in view of recent heavy rainfall and concerns over extreme weather activities in future.
2. Vinesh Phogat: The first Indian woman wrestler to win a gold in the Asian Games
Vinesh Phogat has created history by becoming the first Indian woman wrestler to win a gold medal at the Asian Games.
- In the final match in freestyle 50 kg category, she defeated Japan’s Yuki Irie in Jakarta, Indonesia on August 20, 2018.
- The gold also enabled Vinesh to achieve another feat as she became the only woman wrestler to win two medals in back-to-back Asian Games.
3. September 2018 will be observed National Nutrition Month
Union Ministry of Women and Child Development has announced to observe September 2018 as the National Nutrition Month to mark the country’s against malnutrition.
- The month-long intensive campaign will be undertaken with an aim of reaching every household with message of nutrition — ‘har ghar poshan tyohar’.
4. Telangana Government launches Disaster Response Force in Hyderabad
Telangana Government for the first time has launched Disaster Response Force (DRF) vehicles in the capital city of Hyderabad.
- The main aim to start this DRF is that state should have its own Disaster force to swiftly deal with emergency situations.
- DRF vehicles provided to this force will be parked at 24 locations with Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC).
- It will help DRF staff to reach the emergency spots in no time.
5. Historic Esala Maha Perehera festival begins in Sri lanka
In Sri Lanka, the ten-day festival of the historic Esala Maha Perehera began in Kandy with a grand procession.
- The procession set off from the biggest Buddhist temple in Sri Lanka, Sri Dalada Maligawa at an auspicious time.
- The Esala Perahera is one of the oldest and grandest of all Buddhist festivals in Sri Lanka, featuring dancers, jugglers, musicians, fire-breathers and lavishly decorated elephants.
6. Paytm launched “Paytm AI Cloud for India”
One97 Communications, the parent entity of Paytm launched “Paytm AI Cloud for India”, an AI Cloud computing platform designed for developers, startups and enterprises.
- Paytm AI Cloud will process and store all the data of the consumer locally in servers located only in India while conforming to the highest security and privacy standards.
- For this cloud computing infrastructure, Paytm had partnered with Chinese technology giant Alibaba.
- The company has committed around Rs.250 crore in this business.
7. Sushma Swaraj inaugurates Panini Language lab in Mauritius
External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj inaugurated ‘Panini Language Laboratory’ at Mahatma Gandhi Institute (MGI) in Mauritius.
- The lab, gifted by the Indian government, will help MGI in teaching Indian languages in Mauritius.
- Education Minister of Mauritius Leela Devi Dookun and other dignitaries were also present on the occasion.
8. MP will honour former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee with 3 awards
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Chouhan to have 3 awards after former PM Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
- The first award will be given for poets (as former PM was also a poet).
- The second award will be for the outstanding contribution in the field of journalism.
- And the third award would be for good work in administration.
9. India-Japan Annual Defence Ministerial Dialogue
The Defence Minister of Japan Mr. Itsunori Onodera is on a bilateral visit to India at the invitation of the Defence Minister of India Smt Nirmala Sitharaman from 19 to 20 August 2018.
- The two Ministers held the annual Defence Ministerial Meeting on 20 August 2018 in Delhi.
- Minister Onodera also called on Prime Minister of India the same day.