Current Affairs Updates: 21 August
Current Affairs Updates: 21 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. S K Arora has been awarded the WHO World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award
Delhi government’s additional director of health S K Arora has been awarded the prestigious WHO World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award for his extraordinary contribution towards tobacco control.
- Tobacco prevalence in Delhi has come down by 6.5% in the past six years.
- The National Health Policy 2017 has set targets of relative reduction in tobacco prevalence by 15% by 2020 and 30% by 2025.
2. Government launched the ‘Digital Northeast Vision Document 2022’
The Central Government launched the ‘Digital Northeast Vision Document 2022’ in Guwahati.
- North East Indian region has become the newest member of the Centre’s flagship programme ‘Digital India’ initiative.
- It envisages in implementing the initiative throughout the North East through optimum utilization of information, communication, and technology.
3. General Dalbir Singh Suhag conferred with the US ‘Legion Of Merit’ 2018
The US government has awarded the Legion of Merit (Degree of Commander) to General Dalbir Singh Suhag (Retired), of the Indian Army, for exceptionally meritorious service as chief of the Army staff, Indian Army.
- The award was presented to General Suhag at Pentagon, Washington DC, in the presence of his family members and the Indian Military Attache to the USA.
4. Bajrang Punia won gold in the 2018 Asian Games
Bajrang Punia won gold in the final of the 65kg freestyle wrestling competition at the Asian Games 2018.
- He defeated Japan’s Daichi Takatani with a scoreline of 11-8.
- He became the winner of India’s 140th Asiad gold. Punia is the sole torch-bearer of Indian wrestling.
5. UAE will host the prestigious Asia Cup 2018
The BCCI and the Emirates Cricket Board (ECB) signed an agreement for the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to host the prestigious Asia Cup.
- The Asia Cup 2018 will have cricket teams from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
- The tournament will be held from September 15 to September 28 in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
6. HAL becomes first PSU to transact on TReDS
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has become the first public sector enterprise to make a transaction on the “TReDS platform”.
- TReDS is an online electronic institutional mechanism for facilitating the financing of trade receivables of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) through multiple financiers.
- In 2017, the government mandated all major PSUs to join TReDS platform.
7. India Win SAFF Under-15 Women’s Football Championship
The Indian women’s team were crowned champions of the SAFF U-15 Championship after defeating defending champions Bangladesh by a solitary goal.
- Sunita Munda’s strike in the 67th minute made all the difference between the two teams.
- The final was played at the Changlimithang Stadium in Thimphu, Bhutan.
8. Scientists have recently cracked the genetic code of Wheat
For the first time, the International team of scientists including 18 from India cracked the genetic code of wheat, the world’s most widely cultivated crop.
- The information generated will help to identify genes controlling complex agronomic traits such as yield, grain quality, resistance to diseases and pests etc.
9. World Humanitarian Day (WHD): 19 August
The World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is held every year on August 19 to pay tribute to aid workers who risk their lives in humanitarian service, and to rally support for people affected by crises around the world.
- The day recognizes humanitarian personnel and those who have lost their lives working for humanitarian causes.
- The campaign theme of 2018 WHD is #NotATarget.
- The day was designated by the UN General Assembly (UNGA) to commemorate the 19th August 2003 bombing of the UN headquarters in Baghdad, Iraq.
10. Joint Exercise Maitree 2018 between India and Thailand
Exercise Maitree 2018, a two week long platoon level joint military exercise between Indian Army and Royal Thai Army culminated on 19 August 2018.
- It is an annual event designed to strengthen the partnership between Royal Thai Army and Indian Army and the exercise commenced on 06 August 2018 in Thailand.