Current Affairs Updates: 18th August
Current Affairs Updates: 18th August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Rajasthan will observe September as the “month of nutrition”
The Rajasthan government has decided to observe September as the “month of nutrition” to create awareness among people living in the state.
- From September, the students of Class 1 to 8 of government schools will be given milk daily instead of thrice a week.
- Besides, students in the age group of 3-6 years, adolescent girls and pregnant women registered with Anganwadi centres will also be provided milk thrice a week.
- The government will allocate Rs 100 crore for this.
2. Telangana CM launched Rythu Bima for farmers
Telangana launches two major schemes on Independence Day.
- ‘Rythu Bima’, aimed at providing life insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh to every farmer.
- ‘Kanti Velugu’, the entire population of 3.7 crore will be provided free eye care.
3. The US forms the ‘Iran Action Group’ for Post-Nuclear Deal Policy
The US secretary of state, Mike Pompeo announced the formation of the Iran Action Group (IAG) to coordinate and run the country’s policy towards Iran.
- The development follows President Trump’s announcement of the unilateral withdrawal of the US from the multinational Iran nuclear deal.
- The aim behind the formation of IAG is to change the Iranian regime’s behaviour.
4. PhonePe partners with IRCTC to facilitate convenient payments
India’s PhonePe entering into a partnership with IRCTC to facilitate convenient, fast and secure payments through PhonePe on the IRCTC Rail connect Android app.
- The partnership will enable PhonePe’s 100 million plus users to now pay directly from their bank accounts using UPI, credit and debit cards and also the PhonePe wallet for their travel bookings.
5. Cyclist Esow Alben won India’s first ever medal at world level
Indian Teen cyclist Esow Alben (17) created history by winning the country’s maiden medal in track cycling at the world level.
- He achieved this feat by winning silver medal in Men’s Keirin event of UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships held in Aigle, Switzerland.
- He hails from Andaman and Nicobar.
6. 11th World Hindi Conference begins in Mauritius
11th World Hindi Conference was held in Port Lois, Mauritius from Aug 18-20, 2018. It was inaugurated by PM of Mauritius Praveen Kumar Jagannath.
- The theme of the Conference is “Vaishvik Hindi Aur Bharatiy Sanskriti“.
- It was be organised by Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India in association with Government of Mauritius.
7. India to grow 7.2% in 2018-19 down from earlier projection of 7.4%: Ind-Ra Outlook
- Rating agency India Ratings & Research (Ind-Ra) in its Mid-Year FY19 Outlook has revised down India’s growth to 7.2% from its earlier projection of 7.4% for 2018-19 (FY19).
8. NPCI has launched UPI 2.0 with overdraft facility
NNPCI has launched UPI 2.0, an upgraded and renwed version of UPI by adding four new features to make it attractive and safer for users.
- These new features will allow users to link their overdraft account to UPI, creation of one-time mandates and pre-authorisation of transactions for payment at later date and checking the invoice sent by merchant prior to making payment.
9. N. Raghuram became first Indian to get elected as Chair of INI
Indian scientist-academician N Raghuram became first Indian and Asian to get elected as Chair of International Nitrogen Initiative (INI), a global policy making initiative.
- He will succeed Mark Sutton of the UK Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, Edinburgh.
- Their responsibility will be to steer network of six regional centres each under INI Regional Director.