Current Affairs Updates: 15 September
Current Affairs Updates: 15 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. 4th edition of World Summit on Accreditation took place in New Delhi
The 4th edition of World Summit on Accreditation pertaining to educational institutes took place in New Delhi.
- The Summit is organized by the National Board of Accreditation which provides a platform to its stakeholders to share their knowledge and information on accreditation.
- The theme for 2018 is ‘Challenges and Opportunities in Outcome-Based Accreditation’.
2. Union Cabinet approved ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan’
The Union Cabinet approved new Umbrella Scheme ‘Pradhan Mantri Annadata Aay Sanrakshan Abhiyan (PM-AASHA).
- It aimed at ensuring remunerative prices to the farmers for their produce as announced in the Union Budget for 2018.
- This scheme includes:
- Price Support Scheme (PSS)
- Price Deficiency Payment Scheme (PDPS), and
- Pilot of Private Procurement and Stockist Scheme (PPPS).
3. Amit Panghal nominated for Arjuna award 2018
Boxer Amit Panghal, Asian Games 2018 gold medallist, was nominated for this year’s Arjuna award by the Boxing Federation of India.
- He joined Sonia Lather and Gaurav Bidhuri in the list of boxing nominees.
- Despite his one year ban due to the positive dope test back in 2012, the BFI decided to send his name to the Ministry.
- Boxer Sub. Laishram Debendro Singh was awarded the Arjuna award 2017.
4. Samsung has opened its biggest experience centre in Bengaluru
After launching the world’s largest mobile phone-manufacturing factory in Noida in July 2018, Samsung has now opened its biggest experience centre in Bengaluru, Karnataka.
- It has a service centre for phones and is equipped with high-speed public Wi-Fi.
- A customer will be able to enjoy VR experiences such as the 4D sway chair or the Whiplash Pulsar 4D chair that makes 360 degrees three-dimensional movements.
5. ‘New Development Partnership’ between India and Afghanistan
India and Afghanistan agreed to enhance cooperation under the ‘New Development Partnership’.
- India had announced taking up 116 “high impact community developmental projects” in Afghanistan.
- The decision was taken at the 3rd meeting of the ‘Joint Working Group on Political and Security Cooperation’ between India and Afghanistan in Kabul.
6. India’s first railway university started operations in Vadodara
The National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI), which is India’s first railway university, has recently started operations in Vadodara, Gujarat.
- It is India’s first university focused on transport-related education, multidisciplinary research and training.
- It will offer multi-disciplinary programmes designed to cater to the needs of India’s transportation sector.
- It will follow a demand-driven curriculum, while aligning with industry priorities.
7. Tamil Nadu has banned e-cigarettes
The Tamil Nadu government has banned the manufacture, sale (including online sale), distribution, trade, display, marketing, import and possession of e-cigarettes.
- The government order stated that it is a myth that e-cigarettes are less harmful than beedis and cigarettes.
- The ban advisory states that the use of e-cigarettes causes adverse health effects due to second-hand exposure to metals like nickel and chromium.
8. Nepal-China joint military exercise “Sagarmatha Friendship-2018″
The second edition of the 10-day Nepal-China joint military exercise “Sagarmatha Friendship-2018” will be held at Chengdu, China, from September 17.
- This will reduce Nepal’s dependence on India and allow China to get a firmer foothold in the sub-continental drama.
- This comes at a time when Nepal refuses to participate in the first-ever BIMSTEC military exercise “MILEX-18”, which was held in India.
9. BEML has launched India’s first Electric Drive Rear Dump Truck
The Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML) has recently launched an indigenously designed and developed India’s first 205T Electric Drive Rear Dump Truck (Model BH205-E).
- This new rear dump truck is expected to address the growing demand for higher capacity equipment in the mining industry.
- BH205E is powered by Tier -II emission compliant Modular Common Rail Electronic Engine with 2300 HP.
10. Justice Ranjan Gogoi appointed as next Chief Justice of India
The President of India has appointed Justice Ranjan Gogoi as the next Chief Justice of India.
- He will assume the office of Chief Justice on 3rd October, 2018 after the retirement of the current Chief Justice, Justice Dipak Misra.
- He was appointed as Chief Justice of Punjab & Haryana High Court on 12th February, 2011.
- He was appointed as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India on 23rd April, 2012.