Current Affairs Updates: 13 September
Current Affairs Updates: 13 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. NGT appointed 3 committees to monitor disposal of garbage
National Green Tribunal (NGT) has formed 3 committees: apex monitoring Committee, Regional Monitoring Committees and state level committees to look over implementation of directions given by NGT and other rules.
- Apex monitoring committee: will be headed by former Supreme Court judge Justice D K Jain.
- It will formulate guidelines for Regional Monitoring Committees and the States/Union Territories.
2. CM Nitish Kumar flags off Bihar-Nepal bus service
Bihar and Nepal are now connected by bus. Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar flagged off the first bus service between Bihar and Nepal.
- The service will link Bodh Gaya and Patna in Bihar to Kathmandu and Janakpur in Nepal.
- The bus service was commissioned following an agreement between India and Nepal.
3. India’s first railway varsity starts operations in Vadodara
The first of its kind university in the country on the transport sector, the National Rail and Transportation Institute (NRTI), started operations this week.
- A total of 103 students formed the first batch of this unique institute. This year it has started with two UG courses.
4. World Suicide Prevention Day: September 10
The World Suicide Prevention Day (WSPD) is observed every year on September 10 to provide worldwide commitment and action to prevent suicides.
- It is estimated by the WHO that over 800,000 people die by suicide each year across the world – that means one person every 40 seconds.
- Thus, the day aims to open up the conversations and help those in the darkness.
- The 2018 theme was “Working Together to Prevent Suicide”.
5. Piyush Goyal launches a web portal “Rail Sahyog”
The Minister of Railways and Coal, Shri Piyush Goyal launched a web portal http://www.railsahyog.in.
- The web portal will provide a platform for the Corporates and PSUs to contribute to creation of amenities at/near Railway Stations through Corporate Social Responsibility funds.
6. INDO-US joint military exercise Yudh Abhyas 2018
As part of the ongoing Indo-US defence cooperation, a joint military training Exercise Yudh Abhyas 2018 is scheduled to be conducted at Chaubattia in Uttarakhand from 16 to 29 September 2018.
- This will be the 14th edition of the joint military exercise hosted alternately by both countries.
- The joint exercise Yudh Abhyas 2018 will simulate a scenario where both nations will work together in counter insurgency and counter terrorism environment in mountainous terrain under UN charter.
7. US is hosting the 2018 ‘Global Summit on Climate Action’
The 2018 Global Summit on Climate Action will be held at San Francisco in California, United States from September 12 to 14, 2018.
- The summit is a platform that brings together several decision makers and officials to discuss proposals for future action on climate change.
- It will serve as a starting point for broader and more effective global commitments, to reduce the impacts of climate change and achieve the objectives of the Paris Agreement.
8. India, France sign implementation agreement on ‘Mobilise Your City’
India and France have signed an implementation agreement on Mobilise Your City (MYC) programme in New Delhi on September 7.
- The aim of MYC is to support three pilot cities – Nagpur, Kochi and Ahmedabad – in their efforts to reduce their Green House Gas (GHG) emissions.
- The MYC is part of an international initiative which is supported by the France and the Germany and was launched at 21st Conference of Parties (COP21) meeting in December 2015.
9. Aishwarya Rai Bachchan honoured with the Meryl Streep Award for Excellence
At the first-ever Women in Film and Television (WIFT-2018) India Award, Actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has been honoured with the Meryl Streep Award for Excellence in Washington, US.
- The award was established to honour the best female talent in Bollywood and Hollywood.
- It is a network which promotes professional development and achievement for women in the film industry, video, and other screen-based media.
10. Justice O.P. Mishra has been sworn in as new Chief Justice of Nepal
Justice Om Prakash Mishra has been sworn in as new Chief Justice of Nepal. The President Bidya Devi Bhandari administered the oath of office and secrecy to Justice Mishra in Kathmandu.
- Parliamentary Hearing Committee (PHC) unanimously endorsed his name for Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.