Current Affairs Updates: 12 September
Current Affairs Updates: 12 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Indo-Mongolia joint Exercise Nomadic Elephant begins
Indo-Mongolia joint exercise Nomadic Elephant-2018, commenced at Mongolian Armed Forces (MAF) Five Hills Training Area, Ullanbaatar, Mongolia.
- The 12 days long joint exercise will be conducted from 10 Sep to 21 Sep 2018.
- It is an annual, bilateral exercise since 2006 which is designed to strengthen the partnership between Indian Army and Mongolian Army.
2. Arpinder Singh becomes 1st Indian to win medal in IAAF Continental Cup
Triple jumper Arpinder Singh has created history by becoming the first Indian to win a medal in the IAAF Continental Cup. At Ostrava in the Czech Republic, he clinched a bronze.
- Arpinder was representing the Asia-Pacific team in the meet, held once every four years.
- Reigning Olympic and world champion Christian Taylor of the US took the gold with a jump of 17.59 metres.
3. Novak Djokovic clinched the US Open 2018
In the US Open Tennis, Novak Djokovic of Serbia won the Men’s singles final. He defeated Juan Martin del Potro of Argentina in straight sets.
- It was Djokovic’s 14th Grand Slam title and the third US Open title.
- With this win, he has equalled Pete Sampras’s mark of 14 Grand Slams.
4. Bimal Jalan is the head of the committee to select new CEA
The Government of India (GoI) has constituted a committee, headed by former Reserve Bank of India governor Bimal Jalan, to select the next Chief Economic Advisor (CEA).
- Recently, Arvind Subramanian resigned from CEA post before his tenure ends in May 2019 citing personal reasons.
- He has since joined as a visiting professor at Harvard University.
5. Nehal Chudasama Will Represent India In Miss Universe 2018
Nehal Chudasama from Mumbai has been crowned the Yamaha Fascino Miss Diva – Miss Universe India 2018 at a star-studded grand finale event in Mumbai.
- She will represent at the 67th Miss Universe 2018 pageant, which will be held in Bangkok on 16th December 2018.
6. 12th edition of Aero India 2019 will be held in Bengaluru
Aero India 2019 will be held in Bengaluru from Feb. 20 to 24. This event will combine a major trade exhibition for the aerospace and defence industries with public air shows.
- The show will see participation by think-tanks from across the world.
- It will provide a unique opportunity for exchange of information, ideas and new developments in the aviation industry.
- Besides giving fillip to the domestic aviation industry it would further the cause of Make in India.
7. LIC launches group insurance scheme for CDSL demat account holders
LIC has signed an agreement with Central Depository Services (India) to provide group insurance coverage to all eligible demat account holders serviced through depository participants associated with it.
- The facility will be available to demat account holders between the age of 18 years and 59 years.
- CDSL serves more than 15.85 million demat accounts, which is 48 per cent of the industry.
8. ‘Arogya Yojana to also help counter childhood cancer’
A member of the Niti Aayog, Dr Vinod Kumar Paul said that the treatment of childhood cancer will be covered under the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana.
- Dr Paul was speaking at the 10th Annual National Childhood Cancer Excellence Awards Programme in the national capital.
- According to him, this scheme will provide health insurance cover of Rs 5 lakh to poor families.
9. India launches new digital bridge with Africa
As part of India’s reachout to Africa, the External Affairs Ministry signed an agreement with the Telecommunications Consultants India Ltd. (TCIL) to establish a pan-African e-network between the two nations.
- This project, called the e-VidyaBharati and e-ArogyaBharati Network Project, will serve as a digital bridge between the two countries.
- The Project “is a clear effort by India to reach out to Africa in the critical areas of education and health”.
10. First military exercise of BIMSTEC countries held in Pune
The first field training military exercise MILEX-18, as part of the Bay of Bengal initiative for multi-sectoral technical and economic cooperation (BIMSTEC) commenced at Foreign Training Node at Aundh in Pune.
- All member BIMSTEC countries, except Thailand and Nepal will take active part in this exercise.
- Thailand and Nepal will only be sending group of observers.