Current Affairs Updates: 11 September
Current Affairs Updates: 11 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Turkey is hosting the 87th Izmir International tradeshow 2018
Turkey is hosting the 87th Izmir International tradeshow 2018 in Izmir from September 7th to 11th, in which India is the Partner Country.
- In this tradeshow, India will also launch a mega business pavilion ‘Source India’ to increase India’s exports to Turkey and other neighbouring countries.
- Owing to India’s participation as Focus Country status, India’s National Anthem will be played and the National Flag displayed on the screens put up in the show.
2. ‘Gold’ becomes first Bollywood film to release in Saudi Arabia
Indian movie ‘Gold’ has created history by becoming the first Bollywood film ever to release in Saudi Arabia.
- The Reema Kagti-directed sports film ‘Gold’ is a fictional re-telling of India’s iconic win at the 1948 London Olympics.
- This film is only the second movie after Rajnikanth’s social drama “Kala” to hit the theatres in the Gulf country.
3. For first time in 9 years, RBI buys 8.46 tonne of gold in FY18
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) bought 8.46 tonne of gold in financial year 2017-18. This is the first purchase in almost nine years. RBI now has 566.23 tonne of gold in this year.
- Earlier in November 2009, RBI had bought 200 tonne of gold from the IMF.
- The value of gold held as asset of Banking Department rose by 11.12% due to the depreciating value of rupee against dollar.
4. Bimal Jalan heads panel to select next CEA
The government has appointed a panel under former Reserve Bank of India governor Bimal Jalan to select the next chief economic adviser in the finance ministry.
- Apart from Jalan, secretary of the department of personnel and training C Chandramouli and economic affairs secretary Subhash Chandra Garg will be members of the panel.
- Current CEA Arvind Subramanian resigned from his post before his tenure ends in May 2019 citing personal reasons.
5. Amitabh Chaudhry appointed as CEO & MD of Axis Bank
Ending the speculation around the appointment of its next head once Shikha Sharma demits office, Axis Bank chose Amitabh Chaudhry, 54, as the next CEO.
- He will take over as MD & CEO for 3 years from January 1, 2019 and will remain in office till December 31, 2021.
- Chaudhry has been with HDFC Standard Life since January 2010 and is widely credited for the insurance company’s sucessful IPO earlier this year.
6. Assam government makes Hima Das as Sports Ambassador
Assam government has made Asian Games medalist Hima Das as the Sports Ambassador of the state.
- Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal has handed over the letter to Hima at a function in Guwahati.
- The Chief Minister also announced to develop 500 village stadiums in the state.
7. Ayushman Bharat call centre was opened in Bengaluru
Ayushman Bharat call centre was formally inaugurated in Bengaluru by CEO of Ayushman Bharat Dr. Indu Bhushan. This national call centre is operational since August 25.
- The call centre functioning 24*7 in collaboration with Medi assistant is sharing info in English and Hindi initially and 9 more regional languages to be added later.
- The executives are working in 7 different shifts and one more such call centre functioning in Hyderabad.
8. Amitabh Chaudhry appointed as MD & CEO of Axis Bank
Axis Bank announced that Amitabh Chaudhry has been appointed as its managing director & CEO from January 1, 2019, for a period of three years.
- Mr. Chaudhry, the MD & CEO of HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company at present, will take the charge at India’s third largest private sector bank after incumbent Shikha Sharma steps down on December 31, 2018.
- Mr. Chaudhry, 54, has been associated with HDFC Life since January 2010.
9. Luka Modric has been named UEFA Men’s Player of the Year
Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has been named UEFA Men’s Player of the Year for 2017/18.
- Modric beat off competition from former Madrid team-mate Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah.
- The Croatian international received the trophy on stage in Monaco during the UEFA Champions League group stage draw.
- He was also named UEFA Champions League Midfielder of the Season.
10. 4th World Summit on Accreditation was inagurated in New Delhi
Union Minister for HRD Prakash Javadekar Inaugurates 4th World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2018) at New Delhi.
- WOSA is a biennial Summit organised by NBA, which provides platform to stakeholders to share their knowledge and information on accreditation.
- The Summit will facilitate the exchange of information on various challenges being faced during the transition between input-output based accreditation to outcome-based accreditation.