Current Affairs Updates: 1 September
Current Affairs Updates: 1 September
Current Affairs 2018: Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. 4th BIMSTEC Summit held in Kathmandu
The 4th Summit of the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) held at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The theme of the summit is “Towards Peaceful, Prosperous and Sustainable Bay of Bengal Region”.
- Five of them — Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka — are from South Asia and two — Myanmar and Thailand — from Southeast Asia.
3. ‘Gold’ has become the first Bollywood film to release in Saudi Arabia
Akshay Kumar-fronted “Gold” has become the first Bollywood film ever to release in Saudi Arabia.
- The Reema Kagti-directed sports film is only the second movie after Rajinikanth’s hit social drama, “Kaala” to hit the theatres in the Gulf country.
- Saudi Arabia has recently lifted the ban on Movie theatres.
4. ADB to provide $346 million loan to improve Karnataka highways
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a $346 million loan to finance improvement of over 400 kilometers of state highways that will enhance connectivity and access across 12 districts in Karnataka.
- An ongoing road improvement project financed by ADB with a loan of $315 million is under implementation, which involves upgradation of about 615 kilometers of state roads.
5. HDFC Bank plans to adopt 30 villages in flood-hit Kerala
HDFC Bank has announced that it will adopt 30 villages in flood-hit Kerala as part of its long-term relief and rehabilitation efforts.
- This initiative is aimed at helping people in the worst-hit parts of the State recover.
- The bank will set up medical camps and rebuild affected health centres, support the renovation/reconstruction of local schools and impart skills training to families to restore livelihoods as part of the initiative.
6. India opens Zokhawthar immigration check-post in Mizoram along Myanmar border
India has opened Zokhawthar land immigration check-post in Mizoram along border with Myanmar.
- It has been designated as authorised immigration centre for entry into and exit from India with valid travel documents for all passengers to or from Myanmar.
- Zokhawthar will be 2nd immigration check-post in Mizoram along Myanmar border after Zorinpui check-post in Lawngtlai district which was opened in September 2017.
7. Government introduces Atal ranking for institutions to promote innovation
Ministry of HRD has introduced Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements (ARRIA) to systematically rank education institutions and universities primarily on innovation related indicators.
- It aims to promote culture of innovation and research in higher education.
- It measures some parameters which are India-specific considering current scenario and status of higher education in India.
8. Germany to provide Euro 120 million soft loan for Clean Ganga Mission
Germany has announced to provide soft loan of euro 120 million to India to strengthen sewage water treatment infrastructure in Uttarakhand in an effort to clean River Ganga under Clean Ganga Mission.
- German development agency GIZ also has prepared ‘Ganga Box’ aimed to target schools-going children and inform them about the river.
9. 6th RCEP Trade Ministers’ Meeting held in Singapore
The sixth Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Trade Ministers’ Meeting was held in Singapore.
- Indian delegation was led by Union Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu.
- This Meeting will see participation of representatives from 10 ASEAN countries and six ASEAN FTA partners namely, India, China, Japan, Korea, Australia and New Zealand.
10. DBT inks MoU with IAE on Enhancing Innovation for Clean Energy Transition
Department of Biotechnology (DBT) under Union Ministry of Science and Technology has signed MoU with International Energy Agency (IEA) for enhancing innovation for Clean Energy Transition.
- The MoU seeks to deepen co-operation in support of clean energy innovations to accelerate research, development, and demonstration of clean energy technologies.
- It will also help support generation of data for policy making and improve knowledge of good policy practices for innovation in India and around the world.