Current Affairs Updates: 23 August
Current Affairs Updates: 23 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Chhattisgarh’s CM Raman Singh renamed Naya Raipur city as Atal Nagar
In a tribute to the late former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the Chhattisgarh Cabinet approved the proposal to rename Naya Raipur as ‘Atal Nagar’.
- Chief Minister Raman Singh made the announcement after a Cabinet meeting.
- The Bilaspur University will be known as Atal Bihari Vajpayee University while the Narrow Gauge Line will be called Atal Path.
- The Central Park, which is being constructed beside collectorate, will be named as Atal Park.
2. Reliance Jio tops in Fortune’s ‘Change the World’ list
Mukesh Ambani-led telecom company Reliance Jio secured the top spot in Fortune’s global ‘Change the World’ list released on August 20.
- American pharma company Merck ranked second while Bank of America ranked third on the list.
- Chinese group Alibaba is ranked 5th on the list.
3. Novak Djokovic has won the title of Cincinnati Masters 2018
Novak Djokovic defeated Roger Federer in the finals to win his first title of Cincinnati Masters.
- Novak Djokovic won the Wimbledon Championships in July 2018, was the runner-up of the Cincinnati Masters on five occasions.
- Novak Djokovic became the first player to win all nine ATP Masters 1000 tournaments.
4. Serena Williams is the highest paid female athlete in 2018
Serena Williams (with earnings of $18.1 million) was the highest paid female athlete for a third consecutive year in 2018, according to “List Of Highest Paid Female Athletes 2018” published by Forbes.
- Dane Caroline Wozniacki, who captured her maiden grand slam title at Australian Open 2018, was second on the list with combined earnings of ($13 million).
- Indian badminton player P.V. Sindhu was at seventh place with earnings of $8.5 million.
5. Saurabh Chaudhary has won gold medal in shooting event at Asian Games
Shooter Saurabh Chaudhary (16) won gold medal in Men’s 10m Air Pistol event with record score of 240.7 at 2018 Jakarta Palembang Asian Games in Indonesia.
- For first time he was competing senior event and won gold medal in Asian Games debut.
- It was India’s first shooting gold in ongoing event.
6. Iran unveils first domestically manufactured fighter jet: Kowsar
Iran unveiled its first domestic fighter jet at a defence show in Tehran. It is a fourth-generation fighter, with “advanced avionics” and multi-purpose radar.
- The fighter jet called Kowsar is capable of carrying various weapons and will be used for short aerial support missions.
- The new fighter jet has passed all tests.
7. President appoints Governors of seven states
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed governors for seven states – Bihar, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Meghalaya, and Tripura.
- Satya Pal Malik – Jammu & Kashmir.
- Tathagata Roy – Meghalaya (Replaced Ganga Prasad).
- Lalji Tandon – Bihar (Replaced Satya Pal Malik).
- Ganga Prasad – Sikkim (Replaced Shriniwas Patil).
- Kaptan Singh Solanki -Tripura (Replaced Tathagata Roy).
- Satyadev Narayan Arya – Haryana (Replaced Kaptan Singh Solanki).
- Baby Rani Maurya – Uttarakhand (Replaced K K Paul).
8. World Senior Citizens Day: 21 August
The World Senior Citizens Day is celebrated every year on 21 August across the world raise awareness of the condition of elder people and support them through the process of senescence.
- This day is observed to raise awareness about factors and issues affecting older people, such as deterioration with age and examine issues that affect their lives such as abuse of elderly people.
- It is also recognizes and appreciates contributions that older people make to society.
9. ‘281 and Beyond’ is the autobiography of VVS Laxman
Veteran cricketer VVS Laxman, known for the suppleness of his wrists, has penned down his autobiography titled, “281 and Beyond”.
- The book will be released by the Westland Publications this year in November.
- The title has been borrowed from the Hyderabad stylist’s fabulous series-turning innings of 281 against Australia at the Eden Gardens in 2001.
10. Manipur and Telangana lead the way in internet banking
Manipur and Telangana lead the way in internet banking according to the annual FIBAC productivity report.
- FIBAC productivity report has been published by the Boston Consulting Group, FICCI and Indian Banks’ Association.
- In Telangana, 21.7% of the savings banks accounts carried out the financial transaction through internet banking.