Current Affairs for 19th Dec 2019
Shreeram Lagoo Passed away
- He received the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for his work in the 1977 Hindi film ‘Gharaonda’.
- Lagoo is known for his work in Hindi and Marathi movies. His roles in Marathi plays such Natsamrat, and Himalayachi Sawli made him famous.
Alyssa Healy has won the ICC Women’s 2019 T20I Player of the Year award
- Australia’s Alyssa Healy was chosen as the T20 cricketer of the year following her record-breaking 148 against Sri Lanka earlier this year.
- Alyssa Healy is an Australian cricketer who plays for the Australian women’s national team & New South Wales in domestic cricket.
- She made her international debut in February 2010.
India’s rank in the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) Global Gender Gap 2020 is : 112th
- India slips four ranks on World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Index 2020.
- India has slipped to the 112th spot from its 108th position in 2018 in the World Economic Forum’s Global Gender Gap Index 2020, which covered 153 economies.
- Iceland remains the world’s most gender-neutral country, followed by Norway & Finland.
- Yemen is ranked the worst (153rd), while Iraq is 152nd and Pakistan 151st.
- World Economic Forum’s (WEF): The World Economic Forum, based in Cologny-Geneva, Switzerland, is an NGO, founded in 1971. Motto: Committed to improving the state of the world.
GitanathGanguly, who died recently, was the President of which oldest existing association football club in India i.e. Mohun Bagan
- An eminent lawyer, Gitanath Ganguly, suffered a leg injury when his car was rammed from behind by another vehicle in an accident.
- Mohun Bagan Athletic Club is a professional football club based in West Bengal, India.
- The club was established on 15 August 1889 by Bhupendra Nath Bose and is one of the oldest existing association football club in India and Asia. Coach of the club is Mr. Kibu Vicuna.
Russia the focal theme country of 44th International Kolkata Book Fair
- The 44th International Kolkata Book fair will be held from 29th January to 9th February.
- It will be inaugurated by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
- The fair would be held at the Central Park in Salt Lake this year.
- This is the world’s third largest annual conglomeration of books after the Frankfurt Book Fair and the London Book Fair.
Surya Kiran joint military exercise was recently conducted by Nepal and India
- Joint military exercise ‘SURYA KIRAN – XIV’ between India and Nepal was conducted at Salijhandi of Rupendehi district of Nepal.
- Exercise SURYA KIRAN – XIV is an annual event which is conducted alternatively in Nepal and India.
- Indian Army’s Major General Gopal Gurung.
- Nepal Army chief Purna Chandra Thapa
- Nepal Prime Minister: KP Sharma Oli
- Indian Army Chief: General Bipin Rawat
The new extended date for compulsory implementation of FASTag is 15th January
- FASTag payment tags were supposed to become mandatory on all national highways from December 15, the government has extended the deadline to January 15, 2020.
- What is Fast-Tag: A FASTag is a sticker that is attached to the windshield of your car, from the inside. This is Radio-frequency Identification (RFID) enabled via the barcode and is linked with the registration details of your vehicle.
- FASTags are part of the National Electronic Toll Collection (NETC) program developed by the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI).
- FASTags Comes under National Highway Authority of India. The National Highways Authority of India is an autonomous agency of the Government of India, set up in 1988.
Amitabh Bagchi has won the 2019 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature
- Amitabha Bagchi’s novel Half The Night Is Gone has won the $25,000 DSC Prize for South Asian Literature 2019, topping a shortlist of six works of fiction.
- The winner was announced at the IME Nepal Literature Festival in Pokhara, Nepal, where Pradeep Gyawali, minister for foreign affairs of Nepal.
- About DSC Prize: The DSC Prize, instituted in 2010, awards fiction from the South Asian region, which includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka, as well as from the diaspora.
Tehran University has recently developed a robot ‘Surena’ that can speak and
translate 100 languages.
- The university’s Faculty of Engineering has built this robot in four years. It is named ‘Surena’.
BEL & HAL will organise a roadshow urging active participation in Def Expo 2020
- Defence PSUs Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) organised a roadshow here today in the run up to the 11th edition of DefExpo scheduled to be held in Lucknow.
- The theme of DefExpo 2020 is ‘Digital Transformation of Defence’