Basic Word Lists for Bank PO, SSC, and other exams Hindi/English
[su_heading size=”48″]Basic Word Lists for Bank PO, SSC, and other exams[/su_heading]
- Reliance (Noun) – भरोसा
- Definition: Dependence on or trust in someone or something.
- Synonyms: Dependence, Mainstay, Pillar, Standby
- Antonyms: Independence, Independency, Self-dependence, Self-reliance
- Usage: Scaling up solar and wind power in line with the goal of reaching 175 GW of renewable energy by 2022, steadily reducing reliance on coal.
- Complacency (Noun) – आत्मतुष्टि
- Definition: A feeling of smug or uncritical
- satisfaction with oneself or one’s achievements.
- Synonyms: Smugness, Self-satisfaction, Self-approval
- Antonyms: Dissatisfaction
- Usage: The prospect of increased frequency and intensity of extreme weather events and sea-level rise in a warming world affecting small
- Accretion (Noun) – अभिवृद्धि
- Definition: Growth or increase by the gradual accumulation of additional layers or
- Synonyms: Accumulation, Collecting, Gathering
- Antonyms: Deduction, Subtraction
- Usage: A thick accretion of ice in a freezer that obviously had not been cleaned for some time.
- Garner (Verb) – संचित करना
- Definition: gather or collect (something, especially information or approval).
- Synonyms: Gather, Collect, Accumulate
- Antonyms: Spread
- Usage: The police struggled to garner sufficient evidence.
5. Adverse (Adjective) – विपरीत
- Definition: Preventing success or development, harmful
- Synonyms Unfavorable, Disadvantageous, Inauspicious
- Antonyms: Favorable, Beneficial, Positive, Friendly
- Usage: Taxes are having an adverse effect on production.
6. Foreword (Noun) – प्राक्कथन
- Definition: A short introduction to a book, typically by a person other than the author.
- Synonyms: Preface, Introduction, Prologue, Preamble
- Antonyms: Aftermath, Cessation, Close
- Usage: The editor makes some good points in the foreword about the author’s life, so be sure to read it.
7. Evacuate (Verb) – खाली करना
- Definition: To remove the contents of
- Synonyms: Clear, Empty, Vacate, Void
- Antonyms: Fill, Load
- Usage: Evacuate the cupboards completelybefore spraying the insecticide.
8. Dismal (Adjective) – निराशाजनक
- Definition: Causing a mood of gloom or depression.
- Synonyms: Dingy, Dim, Dark, Gloomy, Somber, Drear
- Antonyms: Bright, Cheerful
- Usage: The dismal weather made the late afternoon seem like evening.
(ONE WORD SUBSTITUTION)
- One hides away in a ship or passenger vehicle to obtain a free passage – Stowaway
- One who is a citizen not of a country but of the world –Cosmopolitan
- Not to be moved by entreaty – Despotic
- To renounce a high position of authority or control – Abdicate
- (A) Barbecue
- (A) Exagerate
9. (A) Correspondence
10. (A) Elijible
(IDIOMS AND PHRASES)
- Cutting corners
- Meaning: undertake something in what appears to be the easiest, quickest, or cheapest way
- Example: If people try to do something as cheaply or as quickly as possible, often sacrificing quality, they are cutting corners.
- All skin and bone
- Meaning: To be very thin in a way that is not healthy or attractive.
- Example: If a person is very underweight, they are all skin and bone or bones.
- Back to the wall:
- Meaning: In a bad or high-pressure situation in which one’s choice or ability to act is limited.
- Example: If you have your back to the wall, you are in a difficult situation with very little room for maneuver.
- Act of God
- Meaning: an instance of uncontrollable natural forces in operation.
- Example: An act of God is something like an earthquake or floods that human beings cannot prevent or control