9 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
RBI Announced Rs.10,000 Crore Bond Purchases
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will buy government bonds worth up to Rs10,000 crore.
- It is a move that could bring some relief to the bond market which is reeling under the pressure of rising yields despite a slew of regulatory measures.
- The purchase of securities will be made under the central bank’s open market operations (OMOs).
ISRO developed an atomic clock to be used in navigation satellites
- It is supposed to measure precise location data.
- Once it successfully clears all tests, the desi atomic clock will be used in an experimental navigation satellite to test its accuracy and durability in space.
- At present, ISRO imports atomic clocks from European aerospace manufacturer Astrium (EAMA) for its navigation satellites.
- With the development of indigenous atomic clocks, the space agency sure gets a mark of technological advancement.
Bhopal host the first apex conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities
- The first apex conference for the CEOs of Smart Cities will be held in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh on 8th May 2018.
- The 2-day apex Conference is being organized with an objective to provide momentum to the cities and a platform for cross-learning, sharing and disseminating the experience gained over the past two and a half years.
- The conference will enable the CEOs to learn from the experiences of all city leaders to understand in greater details both successes and failures.
CBDT Approves Amendment of India-Kuwait Tax Agreement
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified the protocol amending the Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) between India and Kuwait.
- It also enables sharing of information received from Kuwait for tax purposes with other law enforcement agencies, subject to an authorisation of the competent authority of Kuwait and vice versa.
- As per the CBDT, the protocol to amend the existing agreement between India and Kuwait was signed in June, 2006 for the avoidance of double taxation.
India, Sri Lanka Agree on Information Exchange for Drug Control
- India and Sri Lanka has agreed on cooperation on exchange of information and other aspects to tackle smuggling of drugs in both countries.
- A decision to this effect was taken at the third bilateral meeting between delegations from India’s Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and Sri Lanka’s Police Narcotics Bureau (PNB).
- The narcotics bureaus of both countries recognise the challenging drug situation in their regions and identified useful areas for future cooperation, including in the field of information exchange, control delivery operations, and training.
- The Indian delegation was led by NCB Director General Abhay while the Sri Lankan delegation was headed by PNB Deputy Inspector General Sajeewa Medawatte.
Vladimir Putin Sworn-In as Russian President for 4th term
- Vladimir Putin was sworn-in as the President of Russia for the fourth time, renewing another six-year term in office.
- Putin, who has ruled the country as either President or Prime Minister since 1999, won the presidential elections in March with over 76% of the votes.
India Tops With 50 Medals at 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships
- India finished on top in the 7-nation 3rd South Asian Junior Athletics Championships in Colombo, Sri Lanka on the final day. India ended with 20 gold, 22 silver and 8 bronze medals.
- Host Sri Lanka bagged rest of the 12 gold medals in the competition along with 10 silver and 19 bronze.
- Pakistan won one silver and a bronze to settle for the third place.
‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ in Haryana
- The Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment organized a ‘Cochlear Implant Awareness Programme’ at Huda Convention Centre in Faridabad, Haryana.
- Under the Assistance to Disabled persons (ADIP) scheme of the DEPwD, there is a provision for Cochlear Implant surgeries of hearing impaired children up to the age of 5 years at the cost of Rs 6.00 Lakhs per unit.
HPCL has launched home-delivery of diesel in Mumbai after IOC
- After Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), state-owned Hindustan Petroleum Corp Ltd (HPCL) has launched home-delivery of diesel in Mumbai.
- ‘HP Fuel Connect’ will deliver diesel to select customers having fixed equipment, heavy machinery in their premises.
- IOC had in March launched home-delivery of diesel in Pune.