8 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
India and the World: A History in Nine Stories’ will be inaugurated at the National Museum auditorium, New Delhi
- Inaugurated by Dr. Mahesh Sharma ,Minister of State for Culture(I/c) and Minister of State for Environment, Forest and Climate Change.
- This effort made by the British Museum, London; National Museum, New Delhi; and ChhatrapatiShivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya (CSMVS), Mumbai with support of the Culture Ministry.
- This exhibition will be a part of memorial of 70 years of India’s independence and a year of major cultural exchange between India and the UK (UK/India 2017).
Skill India ‘Ajeevika And Kaushal Vikas Mela’ organized in Bhubaneswar
- Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) and Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD), together joined hands to amplify the “Gram Swaraj Abhiyaan”.
- MSDE organized a Kaushal and Rojgar Mela at New Women’s College in Bhubaneswar, Odisha, where more than 5000 people from different walks of life participated.
- More than 29 states of art multi-skill ‘Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras’ was also launched digitally across the country by Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas, Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan.
Google will install 25,000 Wi-Fi hotspots Andra Pradesh
- Google India has partnered with Andhra Pradesh State FiberNet Limited to set up Wi-Fi stations in all the Gram Panchayats of the state.
- It will install 25,000 Wi-Fi hotspots by December 2018.
- In 2016, Google had installed public Wi-Fi networks at 100 railway stations and is now working to expand the project to as many as 400 stations by 2018 end.
NASA has developed a new kind of reactor : Kilopower
- NASA has developed a new kind of reactor to be used for space exploration missions.
- NASA’s Kilopower project works to build the kind of technology that could be used for an affordable fission nuclear power system so astronauts can have longer trips to planets.
- Kilopower is a small, lightweight fission power system that can deliver 10 kilowatts of electrical power.
To promote gender equality, Chhattisgarh has decided to recruit transgenders in the police force
- Chhattisgarh is the first state to recruit transgenders for police while Tamil Nadu is the first state to hire India’s first transgender police officer.
- In 2014, Supreme Court declared transgender people as the 3rd gender & ruled that they have equal privilege over the fundamental rights.
Manipur Govt launches ‘Go to Village’ mission
- The Government of Manipur has launched ‘Go to Village’ mission across the State from Konuma ground of Komlakhong gram panchayat in Imphal West district.
- The mission was launched simultaneously in 60 villages in all 60 constituencies.
- Under the new mission, the government will identify the eligible and deserving beneficiaries and deliver government services at their doorstep.
Ramit Tandon has won the 2018 Abu Dhabi Open squash title
- In an exciting one-hour final in Abu Dhabi, Ramit toppled number one seed Omar Abdel Meguid of Egypt with scores of 11-6, 6-11, 11-3, 11-2.
- It was their first meeting on Professional Squash Association (PSA) tour. This is Ramit’s third title on PSA tour.
- In world rankings, the Indian holds the 65th position, while the Egyptian is placed higher at the 41st spot.
India inks $200 million loan agreement with World Bank : POSHAN Abhiyaan
- The loan proceeds will be used for reducing stunting in children 0-6 years of age from 38.4% to 25% by 2022 under POSHAN Abhiyaan.
- POSHAN Abhiyaan (Prime Minister’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nutrition) was launched in Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan in March 2018.
- It aims to ensure holistic development and adequate nutrition for pregnant women, mothers and children.
NITI Aayog ink SoI with Google to help grow AI ecosystem in India
- Under the aegis of this program, Google will train and incubate Indian AI startups in accelerator program.
- These startups will be mentored and coached by Google and its affiliates to enable them to better leverage AI in their respective business models.
- Under this partnership, NITI Aayog and Google will jointly organize AI/ML hackathon that will be focused on solving key challenges within healthcare, education, agriculture, financial inclusion, transportation and mobility etc.