5 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Neeraj Goyat has been conferred with the WBC Asia Boxer of the Year Award
- Neeraj is the current WBC Asia champion in welter weight category.
- Since turning pro in 2011, Neeraj has won nine fights including two knockouts.
Guwahati is hosting the 4th edition of Vibrant North East 2018
- The 4th edition of ‘Vibrant North East 2018’ has started in Guwahati, Assam on 3rd May 2018 in which people would be made aware of central government’s schemes and programmes.
- The main purpose of the event is to disseminate information about the schemes, grants and projects of the Central government to ensure that they are implemented as envisaged officially.
Cultural Festival is being held in Egypt to Commemorate 157th Birth Anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore
- India is organising a five-day cultural festival in Egypt to commemorate the 157th birth anniversary of Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore.
- An exhibition on the paintings of Tagore titled ‘Rabindranath Tagore: Rhythm in Colours’ will be held in Giza.
- The festival is being organised by the Maulana Azad Centre for Indian Culture, the cultural wing of the Indian Embassy in Cairo.
National Conference Of 244 Districts Under Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP)
- The Conference will provide an opportunity for experience sharing and will motivate the new districts to plan and execute the programme successfully.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi had announced the All India expansion of BBBP scheme in 640 districts across the country.
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao is a personal campaign of the Government of India that aims to generate awareness and improve the efficiency of welfare services intended for girls.
- The scheme was launched with an initial funding of Rs.100 crore.
Renowned Artist-Philosopher Ravinder Sharma Passes Away
- Ravinder Sharma, fondly called Guruji, the founder of Adilabad’s Kala Ashram has passed away.
- Guruji had been awarded with Kala Ratna by the Andhra Pradesh State government in 2014. After bifurcation of the State, the Telangana government awarded him the Ugadi Puraskaram in 2015.
- Guruji was also conferred with D. Litt (Honoris Causa) by the SGT University, Gurugram, Haryana.
Justin Langer Named As Australia Head Cricket Coach
- Langer takes over for Darren Lehmann, who resigned after the embarrassing ball-tampering episode in March.
- The 47-year-old Langer played for Australia for nearly 20 years, scoring 7,500 runs, including 23 centuries.
- Langer had been head coach of Western Australia state and the Perth Scorchers Twenty20 team since November 2012.
Nobel prize in literature 2018 cancelled after sexual assault scandal
- The Swedish Academy has said no Nobel prize for literature will be awarded this year.
- For the first time since 1949, the secretive jury that hands out the world’s most prestigious literary prize will not unveil a winner this autumn, instead revealing two laureates in 2019.
- Last November, the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter published detailed allegations by 18 women accusing Jean-Claude Arnault, a photographer and leading cultural figure in Sweden, of sexual harassment and physical abuse over a period of more than 20 years, in France and Sweden and including at properties owned by the academy.
12th informal meeting of SAARC Finance Ministers held in Manila
- The meeting was attended by the Finance Ministers/Heads of Delegations from the SAARC member states.
- Finance Minister of Nepal Yuba Raj Khatiwada chaired the meeting.
- According to a press statement issued by the SAARC Secretariat, Khatiwada underscored the need of concerted efforts to attain the objective of South Asian Economic Union as desired by the leaders of SAARC.
Niti Ayog inks pact with IBM to develop crop yield prediction model using AI
- NITI Aayog and IBM have signed a Statement of Intent to develop a crop yield prediction model using Artificial Intelligence to provide real-time advisory to farmers in Aspirational Districts.
- The Intent was signed yesterday in presence of NITI Aayog, CEO Amitabh Kant and IBM India, MD Karan Bajwa.
- According to an official release, the partnership aims to work together towards use of technology to provide insights to farmers to improve crop productivity, soil yield, control agricultural inputs with the overarching goal of improving farmers’ incomes.
Prof. Jagdish Mukhi sworn-in as acting Governor of Manipur
- Assam Governor, Prof. Jagdish Mukhi was sworn-in as acting Governor of Manipur on May 2 after a ceremony held at Raj Bhawan in Imphal.
- The oath of office and secrecy was administered by acting Chief Justice of the High Court of Manipur, Justice N Kotiswar Singh at the Darbar Hall.