4 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
India ranks 11th in FDI Confidence Index-2018
- India was ranked 11th position in the FDI Confidence Index 2018 released by global consultancy firm A T Kearney.
- It has slipped by three notches in 2018 as it was ranked 8th in 2017 and 9th in 2016.
- This is first time India fell out of the top 10 since 2015.
The first-ever India- South Africa Business Summit (ISABS – 2018)
- It was held at the Sandton Convention Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa on April 29-30, 2018.
- The tag line of the Summit was “United by Legacy, Unified for Prosperity” and was attended by the Minister of Commerce and Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu.
- The highlights of the summit included a book release of ‘The Red Fort Declaration – The Legacy 20 Years’ on commemoration of 20 years of Strategic Partnership, authored by journalist Fakir Hassen.
Maharashtra has become the first Indian state to provide digitally-signed land record receipts
- The receipt (also known as 7/12 receipts) is the most important document which establishes the ownership of the land, and is primarily used by farmers while applying for loans.
- It is also used by the government during crop surveys and to extend various facilities.
- With digital authentication, the farmers will no longer have to visit revenue offices or the Maha e-seva centres.
12th edition of the bilateral border trade between India and China has resumed
- The 12th edition of the bilateral border trade from Nathu La border in Sikkim has resumed for the scheduled period from May 1 to November 30.
- In 2017, the trade was disrupted following the Doklam standoff.
- The Nathu La pass was sealed by India after the 1962 Sino-Indian War and was re-opened in 2006 following numerous bilateral trade agreements.
NITI Aayog will develop an agenda for ‘New India 2022’
- NITI Aayog will soon come out with a development agenda for ‘New India 2022’, which will spell out strategy for expediting economic growth.
- It will start working on a 15-year vision document after finalising the development agenda document for ‘New India 2022’.
- It had planned to come out with three documents: 3 year action agenda, 7 year medium-term strategy and 15 year vision document.
Indian shooter Shahzar Rizvi grabbed the number one spot in 10m air pistol rankings by ISSF
- He won the silver medal in the just-concluded World Cup in Changwon, Korea.
- Rizvi had previously won a gold medal with a world record score at the World Cup in Guadalajara, Mexico in March.
- The other Indians in the top-10 are Jitu Rai and Om Prakash Mitharval who are at 6th & 12th spot.
Mubina has won the ‘Miss Koovagam 2018’ beauty pageant title
- Chennai-based transgender Mubina has won the 2018 Miss Koovagam beauty pageant title in Villupuram, Tamil Nadu.
- This year, nearly 40 transgenders in the age group of 18 and 35 contested for the ‘Miss Koovagam’ title.
- In it, apart from their beauty and attire, the contestants were tested for their knowledge in Indian mythologies.
Cabinet Approves ordinance to amend law for speedy disposal of commercial disputes
- The Union Cabinet approved promulgation of Ordinance amend a law for speedy disposal of commercial disputes.
- It aims to improve India’s ranking in World Bank’s ease of doing business index.
- The ordinance will replace Commercial Courts, Commercial Division and Commercial Appellate Division of High Courts Bill which is pending in Parliament.
Manila 2018: 51st Annual Meeting of the Asian Development Bank
- The 2018 Annual Meeting held from 3 May to 6 May 2018.
- An Indian delegation headed by Shri Subhash Chandra Garg, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance attended the Meeting.
- The Indian delegation also held bilateral meetings with the official delegations of NORDIC countries, OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID), French, British, US and EIB delegations.