30 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Microsoft becomes the 3rd most valuable firm globally
Software giant Microsoft has surpassed Google’s parent company Alphabet in market capitalisation for the first time in three years. Microsoft has now become the third most valuable firm globally after Apple and Amazon.
- Microsoft had a market cap of $753 billion at the close of trading, almost $14 billion ahead of Alphabet.
- While Apple leads with a market cap of nearly $924 billion, Amazon is at a distant second, with nearly $783 billion.
Yuvraj Singh has been awarded as the most inspiring icon of the year for Social Welfare
Indian star cricketer Yuvraj Singh has been awarded the ‘most inspiring icon of the year for Social Welfare”.
- The award was given by the Dadasaheb Phalke International Film Festival for his exemplary contribution in the field of social welfare.
- Yuvraj opened his foundation ‘YouWeCan’ that focuses on creating cancer awareness.
Gaj Yatra a national campaign to protect elephants was launched in Meghalaya
Gaj Yatra Gaj Yatra is an 18-month-long national campaign aimed to protect elephants, India’s national heritage animal in 12 elephant range states. It was organized by the Wildlife Trust of India in collaboration with the State Forest Department.
- Under this campaign, an elephant mascot will be there.
- It was launched to the acknowledged good gesture of villagers from Garo Hills who had set aside part of their community-owned land to create village researchers.
India and Indonesia signs 15 MoUs in the fields of defence
On the first leg of 3-Nation visit, PM Modi has visited Indonesia. India and Indonesia signed 15 MoUs in the fields of defence, scientific and technological cooperation, railways and health, among others.
- PM Modi and Indonesian President Joko Widodo in a joint statement also agreed to develop further cooperation in maritime sector for “immense stability” in the region.
India, World Bank Sign USD 21.7 Million Loan Agreement For Rajasthan Project
India signs Loan Agreement with the World Bank for USD 21.7 Million for Strengthening the Public Financial Management in Rajasthan Project.
- The Project aims to contribute to improved Budget Execution, enhanced Accountability and greater efficiency in Revenue Administration in Rajasthan.
- The Project size is approximately USD 31 million, of which USD 21.7 million will be financed by the World Bank, and the remaining amount will be funded-out of the State Budget. The Project duration is 5 years.
Paraguay To Have Its First Woman President
Alicia Pucheta has been appointed as the first woman president of Paraguay(temporarily).
- Paraguay will have a woman president for the first time in its history after outgoing leader Horacio Cartes stepped down.
- Alicia Pucheta is from the rightist Colorado Party, which has been in power for decades.
Kailash Satyarthi, ISRO Chief Get ‘Santokbaa Humanitarian’ Award
President Ram Nath Kovind has presented the ‘Santokbaa Humanitarian Award’ to two noted personalities.
- The awards were received by Child rights activist and Noble Laureate Kailash Satyarthi and space scientist A S Kiran Kumar, Chairman of ISRO.
May 30 : 31st Statehood Day Of Goa
The Goa Statehood Day is celebrated every year on May 30.
- The country’s smallest state attained statehood on May 30, 1987 changing its earlier status as the Union Territory along with Daman and Diu.