3 May : Current Affairs For SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana: Cabinet approves setting up of 20 AIIMS
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved plan to set up 20 AIIMS across the country and upgrade 73 medical colleges.
- The decision to extend PMSSY is aimed at meeting shortfall in healthcare professionals and facilities across the country.
- PMSSY was announced in 2003. Its objectives are correcting regional imbalances in availability of affordable and reliable tertiary healthcare services.
India into world’s top five defence spenders
- India has joined the U.S. and China as one of the world’s five biggest military spenders
- India’s defense spending rose by 5.5 percent to $63.9 billion in 2017 and has now passed France, the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute said in a report
- According to the arms watchdog, the five top military spenders in 2017 were the US, China, Saudi Arabia, Russia and India.
Govt appoints Subhash Chandra Khuntia as new chairman of IRDAI
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) appointed former chief secretary of Karnataka, Subhash Chandra Khuntia as the new chairman of Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- He will succeed TS Vijayan whose five-year term ended in Feb 2018.
- He will have tenure of period of three years from the date of joining.
Lewis Hamilton won the Azerbaijan Grand Prix 2018
- Lewis Hamilton took his first victory of the season at a dramatic and chaotic Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku.
- Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas was forced to retire with just three laps to go.
- It was the first victory of the season for champions Mercedes.
India and France conduct final phase of Varuna naval exercise near Reunion Island
- 2018 Varuna naval exercise between Indian and French Navy was conducted in three phases and included anti-submarine, air defence and asymmetric engagement exercises.
- Indian Navy’s destroyer, INS Mumbai, and frigate INS Trikand were the vessels participating in the exercise.
- Indian Navy and French Navy have been conducting naval exercises since 1983. These exercises were christened as Varuna in 2001.
India has been ranked 6th in the list of doping violations with 69 cases
- India has been ranked joint-sixth in the list of doping violations with 69 cases, same as that of Russia, according to World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) report for samples collected in 2016.
- India improved its position to sixth after being joint-third for three consecutive years from 2013 to 2015.
- Italy topped the rankings of drug cases in 2016, followed by France (86), United States (76), Australia (75), Belgium (73).
“2018 Vijay Prahar” exercise of Indian Army has started in Rajasthan
- Over 20,000 troops of the strike formations of the Army are engaged in the exercise to fine-tune the joint-manship with the Indian Air Force (IAF).
- The exercise that began a couple of weeks ago will conclude on May 9 and Army chief General Bipin Rawat and other senior officers are likely to witness the final phase.
Biggest Airport, after Mumbai, to be developed in Mopa, Goa
- Maharashtra State will get a new airport at ParuleChipi in Sindhudurg district, which is expected to be functional by September 2018.
- This airport will have a 2500-meter runway and it will be able to handle 200 departing and 200 passengers arriving during peak hours.
- This airport will provide better connectivity to the Konkan region of Maharashtra, parts of Goa, North Karnataka and Western Maharashtra.
Pradhan Mantri Vaya Vandan Yojana (PMVVY): Cabinet doubles investment limit for senior citizens
- The Union Cabinet has approved doubling of investment limit from Rs 7.5 lakh to Rs 15 lakh under PMVVY.
- It will boost social security initiatives for senior citizens and enable them upto Rs.10,000 pension per month.
- The intended beneficiaries of the scheme are elderly persons aged 60 years and above.