28 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Sangeeta Bahl, The oldest Indian woman to conquer Mount Everest
Sangeeta Bahl, a 53-year-old former model, has become the oldest Indian woman to conquer Mount Everest.
- Bahl, who currently resides in Gurugram, scaled the peak with the help of two Sherpas and was felicitated at the Indian embassy in Kathmandu.
- She has already conquered six out of the seven highest peaks in the world.
India launched its second IT corridor in China
India launched its second IT corridor in China to cash in on the burgeoning Chinese software market.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) has established one more Sino-Indian Digital Collaborative Opportunities Plaza (SIDCOP) platform in China.
- In December 2017, the NASSCOM established its first SIDCOP platform in the Chinese port city of Dalian, which is India’s first IT hub in China.
Queen Maxima Of Kingdom Of Netherlands Arrives India
Queen Maxima of the Kingdom of the Netherlands who is also the United Nations Secretary General’s Special Advocate for Inclusive Finance for Development arrived in New Delhi on a four-day visit to India.
- She met Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog Rajiv Kumar and CEO Amitabh Kant.
- During the visit, Queen Maxima will call on Prime Minister Narendra Modi. The visiting dignitary will have a meeting with Finance Minister Piyush Goyal.
- Queen Maxima will have a field visit to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh and she is scheduled to address a Round Table on Private Sector for Financial inclusion in Mumbai.
BCCI Goes ‘Green’ By Joining Hands With United Nations
BCCI acting secretary Amitabh Choudhary and Erik Solheim, Executive Director of UN Environment, signed a letter of intent at the board’s headquarters ahead of the IPL 2018 final between Chennai Super Kings and Sunrisers Hyderabad at the Wankhede Stadium.
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and UN Environment has signed an agreement to promote ‘green’ cricket in India.
- The partnership aims to spread greater awareness about key environmental challenges facing the country, and highlight alternate and more sustainable solutions.
- The BCCI will endeavor to reduce its environmental impact by greening operations and engaging cricketers and fans in green initiatives.
Colombia joins NATO as global partner
Colombia has formally joined North Atlantic Treaty Organization as global partner. It makes it first Latin American to join NATO.
- The announcement came after Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) approved Colombia as a new member.
- As a global partner with NATO, Colombia will not necessarily have to take part in active military actions of NATO but will be fully accredited to 29-nation military alliance.
Hamburg to host 2018 Global Wind Summit
The first edition of the Global Wind Summit will be held in Hamburg from September 25-28, 2018.
- The organisers of the four-day event are expecting speakers from about 100 countries, including India, China, the US, Spain and Denmark.
- The conference on wind is the largest and most important meeting of the wind industry worldwide.
4th International Yoga Day Celebrations Main Event to be Organized in Dehradun
The main event of 4th International Yoga Day celebrations (IDY-2018) will be held on 21st June 2018 at Dehradun in Uttrakhand.
- Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH announced that Dehradun (Uttarakhand) has been selected as the venue for Main Event of 4th International Day of Yoga on 21st June, 2018.
Ramdev’s Patanjali ties up with BSNL
After becoming India’s most trusted Fast Moving Consumer Goods brand, Ramdev’s Patanjali entered the telecom sector.
- Ramdev launched Swadeshi Samriddhi SIM cards, in alliance with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).
- Initially, only the employees and office bearers of Patanjali will be able to avail the benefits of the SIM card.
- After its full-fledged launch, people will get discount of 10 per cent on Patanjali products with this card.
Saad Hariri As PM Of Lebanon Third Time
Lebanese lawmakers designated Prime Minister Saad Hariri for a third term.
- Speaker Nabih Berri, who has held the position since 1992, was also given a new term.
- Hariri has been prime minister since December 2016 and served his first term from 2009 to 2011.