23 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
BPCL plans to set up LPG bottling plant in Balangir, Odisha
Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) announced that an LPG bottling plant is being set up in Balkhani,Balangir district in Odisha.
- This project will costRs. 103 crore. The LPG will be built across 23 acres of land of Barkhani village, 12 kms from the Balagir railway station.
- This will produce 42 lakh cylinders per year and will be operational from March 2020.
22 May : International Bio-diversity Day
The International Bio-diversity Day (IBD) is observed on 22nd May every year to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
- The 2018 theme ‘Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity’ marks the 25th anniversary of the entry into force of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
India Successfully Test-Fires BrahMos Missile
India has successfully test-fired the Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from a test range along the Odisha coast to validate some new features.
- According to a report, BrahMos, the fastest cruise missile in the world co-developed by India and Russia, will become a ‘hypersonic’ system in the next decade.
- The missile, which currently travels at mach 2.8 or 2.8 times the speed of sound, would touch mach 3.5 soon and mach 5 in three years.
Nipah Virus Outbreak In Kerala
Nipah virus has been started to spread in North Kerala. It has high fatality rate and spreads mainly through bats, pigs and other animals.
- The WHO says Nipah virus (NiV) encephalitis is an emerging infectious disease of public health importance in the South-East Asia Region.
- Nipah virus origin is Malaysia.
71st World Health Assembly Held In Geneva, Switzerland
The 71st World Health Assembly was held in Geneva, Switzerland. The World Health Assembly is the supreme decision-making body for WHO.
- The Event was held under the theme “Health for All: Commit To Universal Health Coverage”.
- The Indian Delegation was led by Union Health Minister of India, Mr J P Nadda at World Health Assembly.
- Mr Nadda also inaugurated ‘Walk the Talk’ event and gave a call ‘Health for all, Yoga for all’.
Telugu Writer Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani Passes Away
Yaddanapudi Sulochana Rani (78), the veteran Telugu writer & novelist, has passed away at California, United States on May 21, 2018.
- She hailed from Kaza village of Krishna district in Andhra Pradesh. She was considered among the top fiction writers of her time.
- An author of over 40 novels, her works mainly centered on human relationships.
Nidaan : Rajasthan Government launches software for disease monitoring
Rajasthan Government has launched new software called Nidaan for disease monitoring and strengthening tele-medicine services in the government hospitals.
- Nidaan Softwarre will facilitate online entries for monitoring of as many as 46 diseases and healthcare services available for their treatment in different institutions.
- It is also expected to help in formulation of specific action plans for control of diseases.
SBI Q4 loss at Rs 7,718 crore
India’s largest lender, State Bank of India reported a whopping Rs 7,718 crore loss for Mar 2018 quarter as bad provisions doubled to Rs 22,096 crore from Rs 11,740 crore in the same quarter last year.
- NPA provisions stood at Rs 18,876 crore for Dec quarter. The loss was way above Street estimates.
- The PSU bank had reported net loss of Rs 3,442 crore in the corresponding quarter last year.