22 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Lionel Messi wins European Golden Shoe for the fifth time
The Argentina international claimed the prize after scoring 34 goals in La Liga this season, helping his club to a 25th league triumph.
- Messi -who came off the bench in Barcelona’s final-day win over Real Sociedad at Camp Nou – also won the award last year, as well as in 2010, 2012 and 2013.
- Four-time winner Cristiano Ronaldo finished ninth in the rankings after scoring 26 goals for Real Madrid in La Liga.
India is the 6th wealthiest country in the world
According to the AfrAsia Bank Global Wealth Migration Review, India is the 6th wealthiest country in the world with a total wealth of US $8,230 billion.
- In the list, the United States is the wealthiest country in the world with a total wealth of $62,584 billion.
- China stood at the 2nd place with $24,803 billion, while Japan is at the 3rd place with $19,522 billion.
26th BASIC Ministerial Meeting of Environment Ministers was held in Durban, South Africa
The Basic countries is a bloc of four countries – Brazil, South Africa, India and China, formed by an agreement on November 28, 2009.
- India was represented by Union Environment Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
- In it, Dr Vardhan reiterated his appeal to make joint efforts to create a societal movement in combating climate change through “Green Good Deeds”.
IIT Kanpur has set up the India’s first advisory Centre for Energy Regulation (CER)
IIT Kanpur has set up the India’s first advisory Centre for Energy Regulation (CER) with the help of Government of United Kingdom to strengthen policy and regulatory limitations in energy and power sector.
- It would adopt innovative approach to engage with stakeholders in the power sector, especially the electricity regulatory commissions, electric utilities and the academia.
- The centre would also develop a regulatory database to enable stakeholders in taking more informed decisions.
Rafael Nadal has won the 2018 Italian Open tennis tournament
In Tennis, Rafael Nadal has beaten defending champion Alexander Zverev by 6-1, 1-6, 6-3 to win Italian Open title for a record 8th time.
- With his victory in Rome, Nadal regained the World No. 1 ranking before the 2018 French Open.
May 21: Anti-Terrorism Day
The day marks the death anniversary of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi who was assassinated at an election rally near Chennai by a suicide bomber from the LTTE on 21 May 1991.
- The objective behind the observance of Anti-Terrorism Day is to wean away the people from terrorism and violence.
- Its motive is to promote unity, peace and harmony across the nation.
RBI has imposed a penalty of ₹5 crore on South Indian Bank (SIB)
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a penalty of ₹5 crore on South Indian Bank (SIB) for non-compliance with its directions on Income Recognition and Asset Classification (IRAC) norms, KYC norms and treasury function.
- The penalty has also been imposed on the Thrissur-headquartered private sector bank for deficiencies in its compliance function and compliance culture.
Rajinder Singh Appointed As The New President Of Hockey India
Rajinder Singh has been named as the president of Hockey India (HI), following Mariamma Koshy’s resignationfrom the post.
- Singh, who is the Senior Vice President of HI. He was earlier the Treasurer of HI and currently serves as the Treasurer of Hockey Jammu & Kashmir.
- Hockey India is the governing body of field hockey in India. It was formed after Indian Hockey Federation was dismissed in 2008 by IOA.
“Shoplifters” Gets Best Film Award “Palme D’Or”
The Japanese family drama Shoplifters has received the coveted award for best film, the ‘Palme d’Or’, at the 2018 Cannes Film Festival.
- The Palme d’Or is the highest prize awarded at the Cannes Film Festival.
- ‘Shoplifters’ has been hailed as a modest masterpiece from a veteran filmmaker Hirokazu Kore-eda that centres on a small-time thief who takes a young girl home to his family.