20-21 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Sridevi Honoured At Cannes Film Festival
Veteran Bollywood actor Sridevi was honoured with the TITAN Reginald F Lewis Film Icon Award at the ongoing Cannes Film Festival.
- The award traditionally celebrates women of the film industry all over the world and also salute the multi-cultural impact on the world of cinema.
- The 71st annual Cannes Film Festival is currently being held at France.
PM Modi inuagrates Kishanganga Hydroelectric project in J&K
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 300 MW Kishanganga Hydroelectric Project in Bandipora District of Jammu & Kashmir. He also laid foundation stone of 1000 MW capacity Pakal Dul Power Project.
- Its underground power house has four units each of 250 MW capacity (total 1000 MW).
- With 1000 MW capacity, it will be largest Hydro Power Project in J&K on completion.
Haryana will launch the ‘Chhatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’
The Haryana Government will launch the ‘Chatra Parivahan Suraksha Yojana’ to ensure safety of girl students.
- The state government has opened women police stations in districts. Besides, women help desks have also been set up.
- Earlier, women constituted 6% of the police force which has now been increased to 9% by the present government.
- Now, it has been decided to further increase this percentage to 11.
Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured by European Union
Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured by European Union for strengthening Europe-India cultural ties.
- Bachchan, whose last release “102 Not Out”, co-starring Rishi Kapoor, was well-received by critics as well as audiences, will next be seen in “Thugs of Hindostan”.
Netherlands PM Mark Rutte On 2 Day Official Visit To India
Prime Minister of The Netherlands, Mark Rutte, will be on a two-day official visit to India from 24th of this month.
- The visit is expected to boost the economic and political cooperation between the two countries.
- The India-Dutch CEOs forum will take place in New Delhi.
- India and The Netherlands have a bilateral trade of 5.39 billion dollars. The Netherlands is the 5th largest investor in India.
Gina Haspel Confirmed As First Female Director Of CIA
Gina Haspel was confirmed to be the first female director of the CIA, Central Intelligence Agency. Haspel joined the CIA in January 1985 as a reports officer.
- She was previously serving as Deputy Director under former CIA Director Mike Pompeo in the beginning of Trump’s administration.
World’s first floating nuclear power plant unveiled in Russia
Russia unveiled world’s first floating nuclear power station “Akademik Lomonosov” at port city of Murmansk.
- It was constructed by Russian state nuclear power firm Rosatom. It has length of 144 metres and width of 30 metres.
- For power generation, it has been fitted with two modified KLT-40 naval propulsion nuclear reactors together providing up to 70 MW of electricity and 300 MW of heat.
PM Narendra Modi launches construction of Asia’s longest road tunnel
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will lay the foundation stone of Rs 68 billion strategic Zojila tunnel, Asia’s longest bi-directional tunnel, in Jammu and Kashmir.
- He will also lay the foundation stones for ring road projects in Srinagar and Jammu costing nearly Rs 38.84 billion.
- The 14-km long Zojila tunnel, which will be India’s longest road tunnel and Asia’s longest bidirectional tunnel, will provide all-weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
May 18: International Museum Day
International Museum Day is observed worldwide around May 18. This day is an occasion to raise awareness on how important museums are in the development of society.
- Theme of 2018: Hyperconnected museum: New approaches, new publics.
1st Para-National Games To Be Held Under Khelo India Scheme
The National Para Games, for able-bodied athletes, will be held under the Khelo India Scheme in bengaluru.
- There will be 416 medal events while the total number of participants has been fixed at 2192.
- The events will be held at four venues — Kanteerava Stadium, Kanteerava Indoor Stadium, SAI Centre Bengaluru and Karnataka Badminton Association Stadium.