19 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Gujarat government will provide free treatment to the road accident victims
Under this scheme, the state government will bear medical expenses of up to Rs 50,000 for each victim of road accident in the state for the first 48 hours.
- Free treatment includes dressing of wounds, X-ray, blood transfusion, treatment in ICU and MRI, and all other treatment available in a hospital.
- As per scheme, even people hailing from other states or citizens of other countries will get free treatment.
Shivangi Pathak become the India’s youngest women to scale Mt Everest
- Shivangi Pathak (16) has become the India’s youngest women to scale Mt Everest from Nepal side.
- Born in Hisar of Haryana, Shivangi climbed Mt Everest to spread the message that women could overcome any obstacle to achieve their goals.
Mangaluru is selectedas India’s best city in solid waste management
The Union government has selected Mangaluru as “India’s best city in solid waste management”.
- It was selected under the categories of cities having a population between three lakh and 10 lakh under Swachhata Survekshan 2018.
- The survey by the Union Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs assessed 4,203 urban local bodies under the aegis of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban).
Tata Steel acquired Bhushan Steel Ltd recently
Tata Steel, whose bid for debt-ridden Bhushan Steel was approved by NCLT, would implement the resolution plan through its step-down subsidiary Bamnipal Steel Ltd.
- Bamnipal Steel would invest in the debt-ridden company and acquire control on the closing date.
- Bamnipal Steel Limited (BNPL), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Tata Steel, will initially subscribe to 72.65% equity share capital of BSL at face value i.e. at Rs 2 per share, for an aggregate amount of Rs 158.89 crore.
India’s 1st Solar Powered Railway Station In Guwahati
Assam’s Guwahati now has India’s first railway station run by solar power. The project of installing solar panels was commissioned last year in April 2017.
- Around 2352 solar modules with a capacity of generating 700 kwp has been set up over the roof of the Guwahati railway station.
- The project cost is estimated to be Rs 6.7 crore, as per Indian Railways. The solar power plant will save Rs 67 lakh worth of electricity.
Union Environment Ministry launches Green Skill Development Programme
The GSDP was launched last year as a pilot project in 10 districts of the country wherein 154 youths (mainly school dropouts) were trained as parataxonomists and biodiversity conservationists.
- It aims to train over 5.5 lakh workers in environment and forest sectors in the country through 30 courses by 2021.
- A related mobile app ‘GSDP-ENVIS’ has also been launched to boost employability and entrepreneurship of the youth in the country.
Guatemala becomes 2nd country to open Jerusalem Embassy
Guatemala has become the second country after US to open its Embassy in Jerusalem. The U.S. moved its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu attended the Guatemalan embassy’s opening in west Jerusalem.
- Paraguay has said it will follow the U.S. and Guatemala by moving its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem by the end of May.
Dilip Tirkey has been appointed as the new chairman of Odisha Tourism
Dilip Tirkey, the former Rajya Sabha MP and ex-captain of Indian national hockey team, has been appointed as the new chairman of Odisha Tourism Development Corporation (OTDC).
- Tirkey, a leader of the ruling BJD, was elected to the Rajya Sabha on March 22, 2012 and his tenure ended on April 2, 2018.
- OTDC is a state government undertaking, incorporated in 1979, to promote tourism in the state.
Integral Coach Factory will host the IRCE-2018
The first-ever International Rail Coach Expo (IRCE) will be held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu from 17th to 19th May 2018 to focus on Rail Coaches and train sets.
- It will be a unique platform to bring different suppliers under one roof and create synergy for “Make in India”.
- The expo will be of interest for train enthusiasts, railway suppliers, designers, developers, and general public.
- 100+ exhibitors from 10+ countries will participate in this expo
Uttam Pacharne has appointed as Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Uttam Pacharne as the regular Chairman of Lalit Kala Akademi.
- He will have tenure of three years from the date on which he assumes the charge of his office.
- He will replace ML Srivastava, Joint Secretary (Akademies), Ministry of Culture who was appointed protem chairman of Akademi in March 2018.