18 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
WHO publishes its first Essential Diagnostics List
The World Health Organisation (WHO) published its first Essential Diagnostics List, a catalogue of tests needed to diagnose most common diseases along with number of global priority diseases.
- It aimed to address people’s inability to access diagnostic services, which results in them from receiving correct treatment.
- It contains overall 113 products which comprises 58 tests for detection and diagnosis of a wide range of common conditions.
BSE becomes first Indian stock exchange to get US SEC’s DOSM recognition
BSE Ltd (earlier known as Bombay Stock Exchange) has become the first Indian exchange to be designated as Designated Offshore Securities Market (DOSM). DOSM status has been given by United States Securities and Exchange Commission (US-SEC).
- DOSM status will allow sale of securities to US investors through trading venue of BSE without registration of such securities with US SEC.
- It will ease trades by US investors in India and also enhance attractiveness of Indian Depository Receipts (IDRs) amongst US investors.
- DOSM status will also provide additional benefits to companies whose securities are traded both in US and on BSE.
Lewis Hamilton has won the 2018 Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton, a British racing driver who races in Formula One for the Mercedes AMG Petronas team, has won the Formula 1 Spanish Grand Prix tournament 2018 at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya in Spain on May 13.
- Valtteri Bottas of Mercedes stood second in the race. Sebastian Vettel finished fourth in the event.
Mukul Rohatgi appointed as ’eminent jurist’ in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee
Mukul Rohatgi, the former Attorney General of India and Senior Counsel, has been appointed as ’eminent jurist’ in the high-profile Lokpal selection committee led by the Prime Minister.
- The post of eminent jurist was lying vacant since the death of senior advocate PP Rao in September 2017.
- Besides the Prime Minister, the selection committee is composed of the Chief Justice of India and the Lok Sabha Speaker.
- It will shortlist candidates for the post of the anti-corruption ombudsman and other posts.
Punjab got India’s first all-woman Post Office Passport Seva Kendra
The 192nd POPSK of the country and the first one to be operated by an all-women team is located in Phagwara, Punjab.
- It was inaugurated by Union Minister Vijay Sampla in the local head Post Office of Phagwara.
- The Post Office Passport Seva Kendra is part of the central government’s initiative for women empowerment.
- It Aimed at providing facilities related to applying for and processing of passport applications for the people.
Smriti Irani has been made the new textile minister
Smirti Irani has been moved out of Ministry of Information and Broadcast (I&B). Now she will only be responsible for the textile ministry.
- Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal has been given the additional portfolios of Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs.
- He will hold this portfolio till Arun Jaitley recovers from the kidney transplant he underwent recently.
- SS Ahluwalia has been made the new Minister of State for and Information Technology.
Yes Bank Launches Agenda 25×25
YES Bank and YES Global Institute have launched Agenda 25×25, which pledges to create a synergetic startup environment for budding women entrepreneurs in India.
- The effort would ensure that by 2025 at least 25% of all entrepreneurs in India are women.
- The study outlines Agenda 25×25 and the need to build a 10 Step Developmental Model focused on empowering women innovators.
IIM Ahmedabad Launched $25million Bharat Inclusion Initiative
IIM-Ahmedabad’s Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship (CIIE) has launched the Bharat Inclusion Initiative ,with a commitment of $25 million from The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, Omidyar Network and Michael and Susan Dell Foundation.
- The initiative will focus on incubating and backing startups that work in areas such as financial inclusion, livelihood, education and health.
- An initial commitment of $12.5 Million from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, and Omidyar Network has been received.
Suresh Prabhu launches IP mascot – IP Nani
The Minister Of Commerce And Industry Shri Suresh Prabhu Launched The Intellectual Property (IP) Mascot – IP Nani – At The Conference On National Intellectual Property Rights Policy In New Delhi.
- Mascot IP Nani is a tech-savvy grandmother who helps the government and enforcement agencies in combating IP crimes with the help of her grandson “Chhotu” aka Aditya.
- The IP mascot will spread awareness about the importance of Intellectual Property Rights (IPRs) among people, especially children, in an interesting manner.
Jivya Soma Mashe passes away
The noted tribal artist who popularized the Warli paintings world over, Jivya Soma Mashe passed away in Ganjad village near Dahanu, about 150 km Northwards of Mumbai at the age of 84.
- He was honored with Padma Shri in 2011 for his contribution to popularization of the Warli tribal art form.