17 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Neymar Won The French League’s Player Of The Year Award
- Neymar won the French League’s Player of the Year award.
- Neymar scored 19 league goals and set up another 13 in only 20 games for French champion PSG.
India emerges third largest solar market in the world in 2017
According to recently released report by Mercom Communications, India emerged as third largest solar market in world in 2017 behind China and United States.
- India has set new record with 9.6 GW of solar installations in 2017, which was more than double the 4.3 GW installed in 2016.
- In 2017, India’s solar market had grown at Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of approximately 170% since 2010.
4th meeting of SAWEN held in Kolkata
The fourth meeting of South Asia Wildlife Enforcement Network (SAWEN), an inter-governmental wildlife law enforcement agency was in Kolkata, from May 8-10, 2018.
- It was first meeting of SAWEN to be held in India since its inception in 2011.
- The two-day conference was attended by representatives of seven (excluding Pakistan) out of eight member countries.
- SAWEN is regional inter-governmental wildlife law enforcement support body of South Asian Countries. It was launched in January, 2011.
Rajyavardhan Rathore is new Minister of Information and Broadcasting (I&B)
In a Cabinet reshuffle, Col Rajyavardhan Rathore has taken charge as the new Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) on May 15, 2018.
- He replaced Smriti Irani. Mrs Irani will now only hold the portfolio of Minister of Textiles.
Shashank Manohar has to Serve as the second term as ICC Chairman
Former BCCI President Shashank Manohar will serve a second two-year term as the independent chairman of the International Cricket Council after he was elected unopposed by the governing body’s Board.
- Mr. Manohar became the first independent ICC Chairman in 2016.
- According to the election process, ICC Directors were each allowed to nominate one candidate, who had to be either a present or a past ICC Director.
China Approves $1 Billion Loan For Sri Lanka Highway
The Chinese government has approved a $1 billion loan to Sri Lanka to build a highway and its export-import bank has been instructed to process the borrowing.
- It will be one of the largest projects undertaken by the China in the island nation, which is supporting China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
- China has emerged as the largest single lender to Sri Lanka in recent years.
Prof Muhammad Yunus Conferred KISS Humanitarian Award 2018
The 11th KISS Humanitarian Award 2018 was presented to Prof. Muhammad Yunus, Nobel Peace Laureate (2006) and Founder, Grameen Bank & Chairman, Yunus Centre.
- Last year, it was presented to His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, also a Nobel Peace Prize winner.
- Prof. Muhammad Yunus, is a Bangladeshi economist, widely known as the Father of Microfinance.
- He was co-awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2006 along with Grameen Bank – the microcredit organisation he created to provide loans to the poor in Bangladesh.
Faye D’Souza Receives RedInk Award For ‘Journalist Of The Year’
The RedInk Award for ‘Journalist of the Year’ has been awarded to Faye D’Souza, executive editor of Mirror Now channel, for her coverage of issues that touch the lives of common people.
- The RedInk Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism for 2018 has been awarded to veteran journalist William Mark Tully.
Integrated Centre for Crisis Management for CBRN emergencies at BARC
President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated the Integrated Centre for Crisis Management (ICCM) at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- It will help nation to respond more effectively to chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) emergencies.
- It will monitor radiological data from a network of 504 radiation sensors across the country. P
- resident Kovind also remotely inaugurated three other nuclear facilities of Department of Atomic Energy (DEA).
International Rail Coach Expo to be hosted by Integral Coach Factory Chennai
For the first time an International Rail Coach Expo (IRCE) to focus on Rail Coaches and train sets, is being held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, from 17th to 19th May, 2018, in the ICF RPF Parade Grounds, Chennai.
- Many reputed rail car and equipment builders will be showcasing their technology and products.
- It will be a unique platform to bring different suppliers under one roof and create synergy for “Make in India”.
RBI imposes penalty on Cooperative bank
The Reserve Bank of India has imposed a penalty of ₹50,000 on Universal Co-operative Urban Bank Ltd, Mancherial, Telangana with respect to violations on loans and advances.
- The apex bank in a release said the Cooperative Bank had violated its directive and guidelines on loans and advances to directors and their relatives.