16 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
Heena Sidhu clinched gold medal at the International Shooting Competition
Indian Shooter Heena Sidhu clinched the gold medal while compatriot P Shri Nivetha settled for bronze in the women’s 10m air pistol event at the International Shooting Competitions of Hannover, Germany.
- Heena was in a rollicking form in the final where she was tied with France’s Mathilde Lamolle on 239.8 points.
- She won the tie to win the gold ahead of Mathilde. Shri Nivetha finished on 219.2.
- The finish marks a strong build-up to next week’s ISSF World Cup in Munich.
Bindeshwar Pathak has been honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan
Nikkei Inc., one of the largest media corporations in Japan, has been presenting the awards since 1996 to honour people in Asia who have made significant contributions in one of the three areas: Economic and Business Innovation, Science, Technology and Environment and Culture and Community.
- Dr Bindeshwar Pathak, the founder of Sulabh International, has been honoured with the 2018 Nikkei Asia Prize in Japan for his contribution to Asia’s development.
- Pathak is among the three who have been conferred with the award. Others are Ma Jun (China) & Professor Nguyen Thanh Liem (Vietnam).
WHO has launched a plan “REPLACE” For Elimination Of Trans Fat In Foods
The World Health Organization (WHO) has launched a comprehensive plan “REPLACE” to eliminate industrially-produced artificial trans fats from the global food supply by 2023.
- The elimination of trans fats is key to protecting the health and saving lives.
- The global health body estimates that every year, trans fat intake leads to over 5,00,000 deaths worldwide from cardiovascular diseases.
ADNOC supplies first oil cargo vessel to India
Abu Dhabi National Oil Company has sent the 1st cargo vessel with 2 million barrels of crude oil for India’s strategic petroleum reserve.
- ADNOC will use part of the crude oil to supply its customers, while the rest will remain as strategic storage for Govt of India to be released in event of an emergency.
- This will be the 1st such investment by any foreign company in an Indian SPR facility.
Global Exhibition on Services-2018 : MUMBAI
President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the Global Exhibition on Services-2018 in Mumbai this morning. He will also launch 12 champion sectors in services.
- 25 Indian states and around 100 countries are expected to participate in Global Exhibition on Services, this year, with 625 exhibitors and 500 overseas delegates.
- The event will also feature seminars, state investment summits, Business-to-business meetings, an exhibition of key services sectors, cultural activities, country and international pavilions, among others.
- He will also visit the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre.
India Meteorological Department will add 30 Doppler radars in the country
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) will add 30 Doppler radars in the next two-three years across the country.
- Doppler radars provide precise information about thunderstorms, dust storms, hailstorms, rainfall and wind patterns.
- With a radius of 250km, they help in issuing nowcasts 2-3 hours prior to severe weather events.
- The first Doppler radar was installed in Chennai in 2002.
Petra Kvitova won the third Madrid Open title
Petra Kvitova outlasted her Dutch opponent Kiki Bertens 7-6 (8-6) 4-6 6-3 in the finals to clinch the third Madrid Open title.
- Kvitova, the victor in Spain in 2011 and 2015, becomes the first woman to win the tournament three times.
- Kvitova has now claimed four titles in 2018 after triumphs in St Petersburg, Doha and Prague.
Four States Ink MoUs With Centre On Health Protection Mission
The states of Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Haryana and Uttarakhand agreed to implement the ambitious national health protection mission, which aims to provide an annual coverage of Rs 5 lakh per family.
- The four states and the Union Territory of Chandigarh inked MoUs with the Union Health Ministry for the implementation of Ayushman Bharat-Pradhan Mantri Rashtriya Swasthya Suraksha Mission.
- Union Health Minister J P Nadda presided over the MoU signing ceremony at a regional workshop for northern states in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh.
Australian Breaks World Record With Mt Everest Summit
An Australian climber reached the top of Mount Everest , becoming the fastest person to summit the highest mountain on each of the world’s seven continents.
- Steve Plain conquered Everest 117 days after he reached the peak of Mount Vinson — the highest mountain in Antarctica — breaking the previous seven-summit speed record by nine days.
Bharti Airtel Completes Merger With Telenor India
Telecom major Bharti Airtel Ltd. today completed the merger of the Indian arm of Telenor Communications with itself.
- The deal will enable Airtel to further bolster its spectrum footprint in these seven circles, with the addition of 43.4 MHz spectrum in the 1800 MHz band – widely known as 2G spectrum, but it is now being used for 4G services as well.
- Airtel will now begin integrating Telenor India’s operations across seven circles – Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Gujarat, UP (East), UP (West) and Assam, the statement added.