15 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-1
India-Nepal Agree To Expand Their Partnership For Socio-Economic Development
- India and Nepal have agreed to expand their partnership for socio-economic development on the basis of principles of equality, trust, respect and mutual benefit.
- In a joint statement issued after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s two-day visit to Nepal.
- Mr. Modi and his Nepalese counterpart KP Sharma Oli emphasized the need for the regular convening of bilateral mechanisms to review the overall state of bilateral relations and for expeditious implementation of the economic and development co-operation projects.
India is the largest remittance-receiving country
- According to a report which said remittances to the Asia-Pacific region amounted to $256 billion last year, India was the largest remittance-receiving country in the world, with migrant workers from the country sending home $69 billion in 2017.
- The report ‘RemitSCOPE – Remittance markets and opportunities – Asia and the Pacific’ said India ($69 billion), China ($64 billion) and the Philippines ($33 billion) are the three largest remittance-receiving countries in the world in 2017.
Lata Mangeshkar honoured with the Swara Mauli award
- The veteran singer has several awards to her credit in her over 7-decade-long career, including three National Awards.
- Mangeshkar was awarded the Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in the country, in 2001 – the second vocalist, after MS Subbulakshmi to receive the honour.
China’s first home-built aircraft carrier “Type 001A” started sea trials
- The aim of trials is to demonstrate the reliability and capability of the ship’s propulsion systems.
- The 50,000-metric tonne vessel will become the country’s second aircraft carrier, and the first to be entirely built and designed inside of China, when it joins the navy before 2020.
- Few countries in the world have aircraft carriers. Besides India, the US, Russia, the UK, France, Italy, Thailand and China operate a total of 18 aircraft carriers.
India’s first, indigenous lithium-ion battery charger
- President Ram Nath Kovind unveiled India’s first, indigenous lithium-ion battery charger, developed by Ampere Vehicles in New Delhi.
- The lithium-Ion charger project is supported by Technology Development Board of the Ministry of Science and Technology as part of the Make-in-India initiative.
- The unveiling event took place on the occasion of National Technology Day.
India & Myanmar have signed 7 agreements
- The 7 agreements signed included one on land border crossing that will enable people from both countries to cross the land border with passport & visa for accessing health & education services.
- MoU on training of Myanmar foreign service officers was also signed during the meeting.
Army finalises Rs 15,000 crore ammunition production project
- Under this a range of ammunition for its critical weapons and tanks will be produced indigenously.
- The immediate aim of the project is to create an inventory for all major weapons to enable the forces to fight a 30-day war while the long-term objective is to cut dependence on imports.
- Army have set a specific target for the next 10 years in terms of the volume of ammunition to be produced.
- The implementation of project is being monitored by the top brass of the Army and the Defence Ministry.
Magenta Line of Delhi Metro To Have India’s Tallest Escalator
- The Janakpuri West metro station of the Delhi Metro network will sport the nation’s tallest escalator
- According to a Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) spokesperson, the escalators installed at Delhi Metro’s Janakpuri West metro station will have the highest elevation in India.
- The metro station which lies on the Blue Line will have escalators at an elevation of 15.6 m.
UNDP will set up Skill Development Centre In Hyderabad
- Aimed at empowering vulnerable and marginalised women by imparting skills training, the united nations Developement Programme(UNDP) will soon set up a skill development centre at ‘Bharosa’, an integrated support centre for distressed women and children.
- UNDP has proposed to set up a skill development centre exclusively for clients og Bharosa.
- Bharosa provides under one roof, 24X7 services related to police, medical, legal, prosecution, Physco-therapeutic counselling and relief and rehabilitation services in completely private counselling rooms to maintain confidentiality and privacy.
China Launches First India-Dedicated Investment Fund
- China’s largest bank, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC), has launched the country’s first India-dedicated publicly offered investment fund, the bank .
- The fund, named the ICBC Credit Suisse India Market Fund, will “invest in exchange-traded funds listed on more than 20 exchanges in Europe and the US that are based on the Indian market.
- As per the memorandum of the committee, the panel will look into the import of uranium for nuclear plants, mining activities and environment, upgrading of India Post offices and the drought situation in the country among other matters.