Current Affairs Updates: 26-27 August
Current Affairs Updates: 26-27 August
Current Affairs 2018 – Daily Current Affairs 2018 updates for IBPS, RRB, Insurance, UPSC, SSC, Railway & other Competitive Exams.
1. Akshay Kumar has emerged as the 7th highest-paid actor in the world
According to Forbes magazine, Akshay Kumar has emerged as the seventh highest-paid actor in the world by earning USD 40.5 million in 2018.
- Salman Khan ranked ninth place with USD 38.5 million.
- Hollywood star George Clooney tops the list of ‘World’s Highest-Paid Actors 2018’ with $239 Million.
2. Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) has given recognition to Kho-Kho
Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) has given recognition to Kho-Kho, India’s indigenous sport.
- Kho-Kho will be included as a demonstration sport in the Asian Indoor Games.
- Also, it has the possibility to be included as a discipline in the next Asian Games.
3. Dr G Satheesh Reddy appointed new chairman of the DRDO
Renowned aerospace scientist Dr G Satheesh Reddy, who is scientific adviser to the Defence minister, has been appointed new chairman of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for a period of two years.
- He will also be secretary in the Department of Defence Research and Development (DDR&D) for the same period.
4. Krishi Kumbh International Conference and Exhibition will be held in Lucknow, UP
The 2018 Krishi Kumbh International Conference and Exhibition will be held at Indian Institute of Sugarcane Research in Lucknow from Oct. 26, which will be organized by the UP Government.
- The aim of the 3-day conference is to provide a platform to farmers, technical experts and entrepreneurs for exchange of knowledge and expertise in the field of agriculture sector.
- It also aims at increasing the agriculture production by adopting advance technologies.
5. Tejinder Pal Singh Toor has clinched Gold in men’s Shot-Put event
Indian shot putter Tejinder Pal Singh Toor from Punjab has clinched Gold in men’s Shot-Put event with a record-shattering throw at the 2018 Jakarta Asian Games on August 25.
- He threw the iron ball to 20.75m to win the gold and set a national as well as Asian Games record.
- The previous mark of 20.57m was set by Sultan Abdulmajeed Al-Hebshi of Saudi Arabia at the 2010 Guangzhou Asian Games in China.
6. World Bank has launched the world’s first blockchain bond, “bond-i”
The world’s first blockchain bond “bond-i” has recently launched by World Bank, which is to be created, allocated, transferred and managed through its life cycle using distributed ledger technology.
- The “bond-I” stands for Blockchain Operated New Debt Instrument and is also has reference to Sydney’s most famous beach ‘Bondi Beach’.
- The Commonwealth Bank of Australia is the sole arranger of the issuance for the bond.
7. Indian economy will grow by about 7.5% in 2018 and 2019: Moody’s Investors Service report
Moody’s Investors Service has recently released its Global Macro Outlook for 2018-19. In it, the Indian economy is expected to grow by about 7.5% in 2018 and 2019.
- However, the rating agency expects the India’s economy to grow at a higher rate of 7.7% in the first quarter of 2018.
- Apart from this, Moody’s put G-20 growth at 3.3% in 2018 and 3.1% in 2019.
- The advanced economies will grow 2.3% in 2018 and 2% in 2019.
8. Scott Morrison has become Australia’s new prime minister
Scott Morrison has become Australia’s new prime minister after Malcolm Turnbull was forced out by party rivals in a bruising leadership contest.
- Mr Morrison, the treasurer, won an internal ballot 45-40 over former Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton – who had been Mr Turnbull’s most vocal threat.
- Mr Turnbull is the fourth Australian PM in a decade to be ousted by colleagues.
9. Raveena Tandon has appointed as the brand ambassador of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park
The Maharashtra government has appointed actor Raveena Tandon as the brand ambassador of the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) to spread environmental awareness among citizens.
- The SGNP is spread over 103 Sq. Km. and is wedged between the suburbs of Mumbai and Thane.
- The park is notable as one of the major national parks existing within a metropolis limit and is one of the most visited parks in the world.
- It was formerly known as Borivali National Park and was renamed SGNP in 1996.