10 May : Current Affairs for SSC CGL-2018 Tier-I
India ranked 4th in the Lowy Institute Asia-Pacific Power Index
- The inaugural index, compiled by Australian think tank The Lowy Institute, has pegged India as the “giant of the future”.
- The index measures a country’s overall power in an average of 8 parameters —economic resources, military capability, resilience, future trends, diplomatic influence, economic relationships, defense networks and cultural influence.
- The index is topped by United States, followed by China and Japan.
India, Guatemala ink MoU for expanding cooperation in diplomatic training
- The agreement was signed after meeting between Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu and his Guatemala counterpart, Jafeth Cabrera Franco in Guatemala City.
- Both countries agreed to support each other’s candidature for Non-Permanent Membership in United Nations Security Council (UNSC).
- Guatemala will support India’s candidature for UNSC membership for 2021-22 while New Delhi will do so for 2031-32 for Guatemala.
India Fastest Growing Economy At 7.4 Percent In 2018: IMF
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) reaffirmed that India will be the fastest growing major economy in 2018, with a growth rate of 7.4 percent that rises to 7.8 percent in 2019.
- The IMF’s Asia and Pacific Regional Economic Outlook report said that India was recovering from the effects of demonetisation and the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax.
- After India, Bangladesh is projected to be the fastest-growing economy in South Asia with growth rates of seven percent for 2018 and 2019.
World’s Largest E-Commerce Deal: Walmart Buys Flipkart
- Walmart Inc. is set to announce the purchase of a majority stake in Flipkart in a deal that will value India’s largest online retailer at more than $21 billion, making it the world’s biggest ever e-commerce acquisition.
- The deal is expected to be made public on Wednesday with Walmart chief executive Doug McMillon in India. Walmart will buy roughly 70% of Flipkart.
Forbes Most Powerful People In The World: PM Modi Ranks 9th
- In the Forbes 2018 list of 75 of the World’s Most Powerful People, Chinese President Xi Jinping ousted Russian President Vladimir Putin(2nd rank) to grab the top spot.
- The PM ranks ahead of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (who is at 13th spot). United Kingdom Prime Minister Theresa May ranks at 14th position.
- Ambani has secured the 32nd spot and Microsoft’s India-born CEO Satya Nadella is on 40th position.
Govt to set up additional 100 One Stop Centres for women safety
- Ministry of Women and Child Development (WCD) in its program approval meeting an additional 100 stop centers for women affected by violence.
- It is funded from Nirbhaya fund.
- The purpose of these OSC is to provide integrated services for women affected by violence such as police assistance, medical aid, legal aid and counseling for temporary stay for 5 days.
- These centers are being established across the country.
2018 International Children’s Theatre Festival to be held in Kolkata
- The 2018 International Children’s Theatre Festival will be held at the Academy of Fine Arts in Kolkata, West Bengal from Jun 17 to 21.
- Children of various theatre groups from eight countries besides host India will take part in fest.
- The participating countries are France, Slovenia, Swaziland, Mexico, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh.
- Children of theatre groups from Indian states such as Kerala, Assam, Andhra Pradesh, Manipur, Odisha and West Bengal will also be participating in the 5-day festival.
3rd Edition Of UNPCAP held In New Delhi
- The third edition of the United Nations Peacekeeping Course for African Partners (UNPCAP) was inaugurated to build and enhance the capacity of the African Troop Contributing Countries to the UN.
- The UNPCAP sessions will be held from May 7-25. The course is conducted by the Centre for United Nations Peacekeeping in India (CUNPK) in partnership with the US.
- The first and second editions of the course were held in New Delhi.